Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 02 Aug 2020, 16:48

Come on, man, don't take me wrong. I only said that's what we already knew because we posted about this recently, that Sudamerica Rugby wants this tournament, because Uruguay wants it, but Brazil and Chile aren't ready as covid is still strong around here. I've asked here in Brazilian rugby and they are not optismitc about this happening in September.

Also, I'm not a moderator and I've made tons of critics related to Sudamerica Rugby and Pichot, I don't know how you believe I'm an unconditional supporter. I feel you don't read me.

I do appreciate what you post, I've praised many things. We are just not agreeing with each other recently and I'm usualy strong in my comments, specialy when it's a subject I'm updated about, which doesn't mean I don't respect you. I come from a background that praises strong criticism as a way to move forward. I'm sorry if I offended you.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 182
Joined: Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 06:54
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: South American rugby

Postby Hernan14 » Sun, 02 Aug 2020, 22:57

Canalina wrote:
In september the Pumas could play a quadrangular in Uruguay with los Teros, Chile and Brazil

It's a conditional mode.
Sorry if I ignored what you already knew.

I have the vague feeling that I'm not exactly popular here and that there's a group of forum members that love to confute my posts, perhaps mostly between the fans of Pichot, el nuestro grande lìder. Not wanting to disturb, I'll start now to post only in the women/other subjects sections, hoping that they will not come also over there with their "sorry not." and "not exactly." posts


Please Canalina don't play the "victim" card. Victor reply you normally, and you, because don't like his comment, use the same arguments that are already recurring in all your conversations since Beaumont/Pichot election...you are the one who attacks again and again with that "Pichot fans, our great leader, Smithers, etc, etc, etc ", just because someone doesn't agree with you or say something that you don't like in some subject...subjects with no conection with the Beaumont/Pichot thing.

It's a forum, you cannot expect everyone to agree with you, or that someone will never reply "sorry not" and "not exactly" ... it is logical that this ever happens. You want to make a monologue and the rest just say, yes, always you have right Canalina!????

Perhaps, if you left your prejudices aside, you would see that not always that someone that doesn't agree with you is because he is a fan of Pichot, in fact, I doubt that you read what we write, since you would give yourself that it is not.

In my case, I opposed the idea of ​​the Nations League a long time ago, when many here were very excited, so simple because I don't think that is the solution, the needs of T2 and T3 teams are different on the different continents, and the examples that such competitions have given in all sports is a retraction of them and not an expansion, each time, limiting the participation and difusion of the sport.

Regarding Pichot, I had the terrible idea of ​​correcting the transcription of an interview, given that I speak the same language as him, and suddenly I became a "Pichot Lover" ... if someone transcribed a interview from Italian and you saw that he is changing the meaning, wouldn't you say anything? The person of that interview will be automatically your great leader??? No, clearly not. And in fact, I didn't comment on the ARC thread about the interview with Piñeyrúa, precisely to avoid receiving such epithets again, although all you changed the meaning of what he said, and Piñeyrúa is not exactly saint of my devotion, but all you weren't even able to understand when speaking in the past that when speaking in the future in Castilian (because he didn't say that Canada/RAN not give importance to the ARC in the past, he say that after that decision, nothing assured than in the future RAN continued to give importance to the tournament except in Qualy years) ... I didn't know how many comments in that thread were wrote, how many discussions ... I didn't want to comment, but all you argued for days only by misunderstanding another language. And as Victor said, it was just a political card.

Yes, I'm not conservative as far as Rugby is concerned, and it doesn't have to do with Beaumont or Pichot (re-read any of my posts), I am highly critical of the role of the UAR and especially of the URBA, who is absolutely responsible than for example, Argentina doesn't have a female XV team, the false amateurism it professes, the elitism it continues to instill. To give you an idea, the Argentine deaf team only receives permission to compete as Argentina, however, obviously they don't recognize it within the UAR, and more than once they were denied that permission, for example preventing them from making a tour to UK, to play with Wales and England, without permission, those official teams couldn't play with them. They shouldn't put any money, just say, ok, they can use the name of the Argentina. But they denied it. Sorry, but never I would defend the status quo of WR...and Pichot don't have any to do with that.

Perhaps if you take your prejudices off and read what others write correctly, perhaps you may not attack or feel attacked.

Posts: 3676
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: South American rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 03 Aug 2020, 12:18

Canalina wrote:
I have the vague feeling that I'm not exactly popular here and that there's a group of forum members that love to confute my posts, perhaps mostly between the fans of Pichot, el nuestro grande lìder. Not wanting to disturb, I'll start now to post only in the women/other subjects sections, hoping that they will not come also over there with their "sorry not." and "not exactly." posts



I don't think that's the case. Speaking for myself I enjoy somebody taking a different position and standing up for it very much. I think your posts are widely appreciated even if people don't agree with your opinion on some issues.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 03 Aug 2020, 14:46

CBRu Council considered in March the ARC a priority for marketing: http://ww2.brasilrugby.com.br/wp-conten ... 3.2020.pdf
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 03 Aug 2020, 20:06

Canalina wrote:In september the Pumas could play a quadrangular in Uruguay with los Teros, Chile and Brazil

http://www.rosario3.com/deportes/Los-Pu ... -0016.html

Just got a new answer about this. It won't be Pumas, probably Argentina XV, but yes, Uruguay and Argentina are trying to convince Brazil it is possible. Depending on the costs, it might happen to see Brazil and Chile spending quarentine in Uruguay training and than playing.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2019, 20:14
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: South American rugby

Postby Pichulonko » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 07:11

victorsra wrote:
Canalina wrote:In september the Pumas could play a quadrangular in Uruguay with los Teros, Chile and Brazil

http://www.rosario3.com/deportes/Los-Pu ... -0016.html

Just got a new answer about this. It won't be Pumas, probably Argentina XV, but yes, Uruguay and Argentina are trying to convince Brazil it is possible. Depending on the costs, it might happen to see Brazil and Chile spending quarantine in Uruguay training and than playing.

Chile has been training for a couple of weeks with the pandemic experiencing a steady decline, so a tournament in Uruguay between the four nations seems plausible.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 14:40

Pichulonko wrote:
victorsra wrote:
Canalina wrote:In september the Pumas could play a quadrangular in Uruguay with los Teros, Chile and Brazil

http://www.rosario3.com/deportes/Los-Pu ... -0016.html

Just got a new answer about this. It won't be Pumas, probably Argentina XV, but yes, Uruguay and Argentina are trying to convince Brazil it is possible. Depending on the costs, it might happen to see Brazil and Chile spending quarantine in Uruguay training and than playing.

Chile has been training for a couple of weeks with the pandemic experiencing a steady decline, so a tournament in Uruguay between the four nations seems plausible.

Yes, Brazil started now as well. But they wanted this to be by the end of the year, because now it is dangerous, as at any time training can be suspended, for exemple.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 15:49
National Flag:
VietnamVietnam

Re: South American rugby

Postby khanhspm » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 07:21

Rugby Australia have today unveiled the largest and most comprehensive collection of Rugby rights ever assembled, with prospective broadcasters having now received documentation to begin the next phase of the negotiation process.

The rights include a variety of options for broadcasters or the opportunity to own rights to the entire package, specifically:
- ...
- A four-week Super Eight competition, to be played at the conclusion of the respective domestic Super Rugby competitions, and be a cross-over Championship between the top two teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as well as one team from Japan and South America

https://australia.rugby/news/2020/08/10 ... dcast-deal

Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 09:15

khanhspm wrote:Rugby Australia have today unveiled the largest and most comprehensive collection of Rugby rights ever assembled, with prospective broadcasters having now received documentation to begin the next phase of the negotiation process.

The rights include a variety of options for broadcasters or the opportunity to own rights to the entire package, specifically:
- ...
- A four-week Super Eight competition, to be played at the conclusion of the respective domestic Super Rugby competitions, and be a cross-over Championship between the top two teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as well as one team from Japan and South America

https://australia.rugby/news/2020/08/10 ... dcast-deal


These all sound like good proposals for Australia. No mention of the NRC though. I think Australia is right to keep 5 Super Rugby teams but this is at odds with New Zealand's plans. I don't think a Trans Tasman Super Rugby is going to happen. I would like to see a New Zealand based Pacific Islands team (Tongan and Samoan) added to the Aotearoa Championship, and Fijian Latui and maybe South China Tigers and possibly Sunwolves added to the Australian Super Rugby Championship.

Posts: 97
Joined: Sun, 05 Feb 2017, 15:38
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Higgik » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 12:04

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
khanhspm wrote:Rugby Australia have today unveiled the largest and most comprehensive collection of Rugby rights ever assembled, with prospective broadcasters having now received documentation to begin the next phase of the negotiation process.

The rights include a variety of options for broadcasters or the opportunity to own rights to the entire package, specifically:
- ...
- A four-week Super Eight competition, to be played at the conclusion of the respective domestic Super Rugby competitions, and be a cross-over Championship between the top two teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as well as one team from Japan and South America

https://australia.rugby/news/2020/08/10 ... dcast-deal


These all sound like good proposals for Australia. No mention of the NRC though. I think Australia is right to keep 5 Super Rugby teams but this is at odds with New Zealand's plans. I don't think a Trans Tasman Super Rugby is going to happen. I would like to see a New Zealand based Pacific Islands team (Tongan and Samoan) added to the Aotearoa Championship, and Fijian Latui and maybe South China Tigers and possibly Sunwolves added to the Australian Super Rugby Championship.

Agree, but I would say that the PI players should be subsidised by their unions and WR to play for the current teams, apart from maybe having a Fiji based team.
NZR should be allowing these players to play for franchises.
Maybe, 6 NZ based teams playing a competition, 5 Aus plus Tigers, do the same. Japan could run own competition. Then Cup between the 3 competitions, played like a mini tournament. 3 NZ, 3 Aus, 2 Japan.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 15:39

That propasal can mean Jaguares playing SLAR and SLAR gaining a very important boost. Great news.

It also means GRR is dying, because RA is realy thinking about Force together with them and haven't mentioned GRR.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 17:03

victorsra wrote:That propasal can mean Jaguares playing SLAR and SLAR gaining a very important boost. Great news.

It also means GRR is dying, because RA is realy thinking about Force together with them and haven't mentioned GRR.


I think GRR is dead, but the only viable GRR teams were Western Force, South China Tigers and and Fijian Latui. Hopefully they can all find places in the new leagues.

User avatar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 20:05

I think it would make more sense for this Super 8 to feature two teams per country, so Australia and New Zealand have a southern and a northern team, and South Africa has an eastern and western team.

Anyway, the Jaguares need more than four matches to be sustainable.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 20:29

Yes, Jaguares as we know are possibly over. That would be a SLAR champions, that would be a team with good young players and a couple of veterans without market in Europe. The core of the Pumas will probably be in Europe. Super 8 would be just a way to offer a great challenge for upcoming talent. The Argentina team wouldn't be a real title contender because SLAR won't make it possible economicaly.

BTW, a situation closer to soccer...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 44
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 10:39
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tiernster » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 21:46

More importantly it gives tier 2 country clubs a fair pathway to compete against the best clubs in the world.

Something that only notionally exists in Europe

Posts: 1739
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Wed, 12 Aug 2020, 01:33

How is this run over 4 weeks between 8 teams? A bracket format would only allow for 3 games. A pool format (play 3 games in pool, best of both face off) would work but not sure how they pick the teams or what happens to the teams not in the finals.

Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 12 Aug 2020, 01:56

Tobar wrote:How is this run over 4 weeks between 8 teams? A bracket format would only allow for 3 games. A pool format (play 3 games in pool, best of both face off) would work but not sure how they pick the teams or what happens to the teams not in the finals.


Quarter final, semi final, final.

Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: South American rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 12 Aug 2020, 02:17

Tobar wrote:How is this run over 4 weeks between 8 teams? A bracket format would only allow for 3 games. A pool format (play 3 games in pool, best of both face off) would work but not sure how they pick the teams or what happens to the teams not in the finals.


Two pools of 4. Three games each. Winner of each pool progress to the final. The other teams just watch from the sidelines.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Wed, 12 Aug 2020, 02:38

Or play 3rd, 5th and 7th with fancy trophy names if it is a single venue thing.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5927
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: South American rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 03:23

victorsra wrote:Yes, Jaguares as we know are possibly over. That would be a SLAR champions, that would be a team with good young players and a couple of veterans without market in Europe. The core of the Pumas will probably be in Europe. Super 8 would be just a way to offer a great challenge for upcoming talent. The Argentina team wouldn't be a real title contender because SLAR won't make it possible economicaly.

BTW, a situation closer to soccer...


I say fold the Jaguares into SLAR. To me anyway, there's been too much invested into the brand for it to be simply thrown away.

Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 05:48

thatrugbyguy wrote:
victorsra wrote:Yes, Jaguares as we know are possibly over. That would be a SLAR champions, that would be a team with good young players and a couple of veterans without market in Europe. The core of the Pumas will probably be in Europe. Super 8 would be just a way to offer a great challenge for upcoming talent. The Argentina team wouldn't be a real title contender because SLAR won't make it possible economicaly.

BTW, a situation closer to soccer...


I say fold the Jaguares into SLAR. To me anyway, there's been too much invested into the brand for it to be simply thrown away.


I agree with you. Let them survive as an SLAR team. As SLAR grows Jaguares will slowly return to greatness.

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 06:26

Their training center Casa Jaguares changed the name to Casa Pumas https://espndeportes.espn.com/rugby/not ... -los-pumas
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 7877
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 17:43

"Rugby Talks" webinar will debate the past and future of professionalism in Brazil and South America with Sebastian Piñeyrua, president of Sudamerica Rugby, and Eduardo Mufarej, president of the Brazilian Rugby Union. Thursday, August 27th, 8PM GMT. To watch live: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/topo/in ... alks-no-10
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 34
Joined: Sun, 15 Jan 2017, 16:00
Location: Coral Gables, FL
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby yorugua@US » Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 04:43

Thanks much for the heads up, Victor. Will be there for sure.

User avatar
Posts: 6140
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: South American rugby

Postby Canalina » Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 18:07

Sudamericano on 17, 21, 25 October, tentatively

https://www.rugbychile.cl/2020/08/28/il ... -su-rugby/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 11 guests