Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Rebus » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 03:59

In the short term , the top players will move to Europe or Japan for better standard and higher pay. It will be a bit like the late 90's and early 2000's where Argentina have top players but spread internationally.

A problem with retaining the players in the SLAR is that the players will be exposed to a lower standard of club rugby than experienced in SR or they could get in top European leagues. It will take a number of years for the standard to increase to a suitable standard, this league will be more beneficial for the clubs outside Argentina.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 06:23

Rebus wrote:In the short term , the top players will move to Europe or Japan for better standard and higher pay. It will be a bit like the late 90's and early 2000's where Argentina have top players but spread internationally.

A problem with retaining the players in the SLAR is that the players will be exposed to a lower standard of club rugby than experienced in SR or they could get in top European leagues. It will take a number of years for the standard to increase to a suitable standard, this league will be more beneficial for the clubs outside Argentina.

I agree with you. And Los Ceibos and Los Jaguares will become a shop window for European clubs looking to strengthen their squads with Argentinian players, and for Argentinians wanting to play professionally overseas. But it will also provide those same opportunities for other talented South American players. I think the standard will be adequate for this. Players who stand out will be good enough to play in tier 1 leagues. SLAR is definitely a tier 2 league like the RFU Championship or Scotland's Super Six.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 11:31

I maintain the Jaguares brand is valuable and would help boost SLAR.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 13:53

Argentina will just have to accept their rugby will experience what their football does = best players will go to Europe. With this in mind, Jaguares vs Ceibos would be a terrific derby to have in SLAR. The question is if enough people in Buenos Aires will like to watch SLAR. The league will need to be smart and have all matches on Thursday/Friday nights. Saturdays won't work (club rugby going on... unless they do some sort of double-header with major clubs). Obviously Jaguares would need a small stadium (not Velez).

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 16:19

victorsra wrote:Argentina will just have to accept their rugby will experience what their football does = best players will go to Europe. With this in mind, Jaguares vs Ceibos would be a terrific derby to have in SLAR. The question is if enough people in Buenos Aires will like to watch SLAR. The league will need to be smart and have all matches on Thursday/Friday nights. Saturdays won't work (club rugby going on... unless they do some sort of double-header with major clubs). Obviously Jaguares would need a small stadium (not Velez).

In soccer those who play in Europe can play in the national team, and all teams have the same conditions.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 16:32

Yes, if UAR accepts this reality, SLAR can be a solution, while distributing players between Jaguares and Ceibos (+ offering players to other franchises) to level teams.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 18:28

Maybe there is no solution and every scenario is terrible because rugby is unfair and awful

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 19:19

Is there a reason why the fixtures of the 4N are still not known?
The first round is just two weeks and an half ahead, if the four competing teams are now certain it's strange they have still not released the fixtures

https://www.rugbychile.cl/2020/09/30/sa ... -naciones/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 19:35

I don't know and I'd like to know too. Maybe something to do with TV?

Maybe there is no solution and every scenario is terrible because rugby is unfair and awful

Why terrible? I think SLAR with Argentina focused on it can be pretty good, including for Argentina.

The problem related to the end of Super Rugby and the exodus of Pumas is basicaly if Argentina will be able to have those players with proper rest and training time before tests and TRC. The level of the Pumas will only be affected if WR can't manage to secure UAR has those players and respecting player welfare. For Argentina, clearly a global calendar is much needed and South Africa will probably support it.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 01:48

victorsra wrote:I don't know and I'd like to know too. Maybe something to do with TV?

Why terrible? I think SLAR with Argentina focused on it can be pretty good, including for Argentina.

The problem related to the end of Super Rugby and the exodus of Pumas is basicaly if Argentina will be able to have those players with proper rest and training time before tests and TRC. The level of the Pumas will only be affected if WR can't manage to secure UAR has those players and respecting player welfare. For Argentina, clearly a global calendar is much needed and South Africa will probably support it.

SLAR could be pretty good, we also have our regional tournaments that are pretty good too, and we used to have el Argentino which was really good. But it is not enough, all our rivals have better conditions, more professional players, more availability of these, more money. If we can't have our players at the first level, or if we can't count on them, how are we going to compete? Is this a fair game?

Does anyone think that European clubs are going to give up players for four or five months?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 18:36

The Jaguares are the top Argentine players, and the SLAR teams can't afford the best players. Therefore, I think that the Jaguares brand shouldn't be used in the SLAR.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 18:43

NaBUru38 wrote:The Jaguares are the top Argentine players, and the SLAR teams can't afford the best players. Therefore, I think that the Jaguares brand shouldn't be used in the SLAR.

But it is this or death for the brand...

Does anyone think that European clubs are going to give up players for four or five months?

That's the major issue. When will The Rugby Championship be played. For South Africa and Argentina, obviously during the 6N window will be much better. We'll see another battle around this, with NZ and Australia probably against.

If the calendar is the same of the European national teams, well, Argentina would be in equal terms. Maybe - if all Pumas play in Europe - Argentina would need to consider camps in Europe during the season, like Fiji (if I'm not wrong) is thinking to do.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 18:02

victorsra wrote:Brazil is confirmed.

When does the CBRu plan on making Brazil's roster official? Is the group in Uruguay in quarantine yet?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 18:18

NaBUru38 wrote:The Jaguares are the top Argentine players, and the SLAR teams can't afford the best players. Therefore, I think that the Jaguares brand shouldn't be used in the SLAR.

There will need to be a slight change of focus to being among the best domestically based Argentine players for at least the short to medium term.

It's not necessarily ideal but one of the objectives of SLAR at least initially should be as a showcase for Sth American talent for the bigger money leagues and an introduction to professionalism for younger players. Again I. It's first 5 or so seasons at least. Which is why the Jags should enter as the Buenos Aires team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 18:37

Pichulonko wrote:
victorsra wrote:Brazil is confirmed.

When does the CBRu plan on making Brazil's roster official? Is the group in Uruguay in quarantine yet?

They will have COVID tests on Oct 6th, release the squad on 7th and travel on 9th. They are training with all protocols in place and testing. At the moment, nobody is sick, AFAIK. It looks like there were cases some time ago, but nobody now.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 13:24

Sudamérica 4N matches all broadcast on the SAR app. One of the followers in Brazil says he can’t download the app though...victor is this available in Brazil?

Regardless, it’s great that it’s available on a free platform for everyone.

https://twitter.com/sudamericarugby/sta ... 85760?s=21

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 13:43

I have downloaded it...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 17:43

Fixtures - local time (Uruguay)

Oct 17th

16hs – Argentina XV vs Chile

18:45hs – Uruguay vs Brasil

Oct 21st

17hs – Argentina XV vs Brasil

19:45hs – Uruguay vs Chile

Oct 25th

14hs – Chile vs Brasil

16:45hs – Argentina XV vs Uruguay

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 19:57

Without club matches, Brazil will definitly struggle a lot... no panic if Uruguay smahes us, it would be natural due to the circunstances. Uruguayan club rugby is at full steam. And Brazil will also struggle against Chile, so it would be normal to have Los Condores winning. It is a rebuilding year for Brazil.

Anyway, those will be the first test matches with Fernando Portugal as the head coach. He can give a lot, but he needs time to deliver. Patience!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 22:18

victorsra wrote:I have downloaded it...

Do they have a Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku app?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 22:30

I don't think so...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 06 Oct 2020, 04:57

Well that's a massive oversight. Watching on mobile won't last that long.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 06 Oct 2020, 21:00

Chile squad. Only Torrealba plays abroad.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Tue, 06 Oct 2020, 21:18

TheStroBro wrote:
victorsra wrote:I have downloaded it...

Do they have a Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku app?

TheStroBro wrote:Well that's a massive oversight. Watching on mobile won't last that long.

Yes, I thought the same.

If it helps, I downloaded the app on my tvbox and it works fine by now (I already also had an app installed to rotate the screen). I will see how work at the time of the transmission of the matches.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 07 Oct 2020, 06:48

I stopped using the Fire-tv-stick about two years ago, but you can actually install every apk (App) on the stick with a little help from an android app.
Maybe that's still working. Google for "how to install apk on your fire tv".
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum