Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 13:47

Pichulonko wrote:Paraguay has a team indeed yet they do not seem very promising to further the development of their national team. When Olimpia had the chance to field a team during the one match they had before the Covid-19 shut down of the inauhural SLAR season, they did so with 15 foreign players as starters and only two Paraguayan nationals as part of the reserves. Olimpia was a better showcase for Argentine players outside of Ceibos moreso than anything else.

I for instance see the Colombian project of Cafeteros Pro on a different path, one closer to what Selknam and Peñarol put together than what Olimpia had in mind as a roll for their national players.

Yes, the first game had more non Paraguayans but the team still has 10 Paraguayans (10 more than Colombia has). Rome wasn’t built in a day and they are just starting as a team.

I have doubts about Colombia being able to join next year (and I’m not even too sure about SLAR at all). But they will need to add foreigners in order to be competitive.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 16:12

What good is it for Paraguay to have a professional team if non of the starters are Paraguayans and only two, yes, two are part of the line-up at all?

Seems like Olimpia was put in place simply to fill out a spot in the League more than anything else.

As far as Cafeteros Pro goes, I think they will take a similar approach to Selknam. That is have a roster of 75%-85% nationals and fill out the remaining spots with Pacific Islanders with the money provided by WR. Remember, The Colombian Union is going pro anyways so they have enough money to pay their own.

http://www.rugbychampagneweb.com/Notici ... rugby_4613

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 16:55

Again, it was just the first game and against the best team in the league. And they still got smashed. They haven’t played any other games so we can’t say what they were doing. I think it’s fine for the first year because the training conditions alone can make a big difference (look at Chile). If they do not involve more players year after year then I get where you’re coming from.

Yes I think Colombia will be around that level of Colombians and foreign players. It’s union run so they will just want to give their players the most playing time. I wouldn’t necessarily say they have enough money but the professional contracts can be given to Cafeteros players.

I do hope Colombia changes that name. It’s good as a 2nd side name but terrible as a pro name.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 17:50

Pichulonko wrote:What good is it for Paraguay to have a professional team if non of the starters are Paraguayans and only two, yes, two are part of the line-up at all?

Seems like Olimpia was put in place simply to fill out a spot in the League more than anything else.

As far as Cafeteros Pro goes, I think they will take a similar approach to Selknam. That is have a roster of 75%-85% nationals and fill out the remaining spots with Pacific Islanders with the money provided by WR. Remember, The Colombian Union is going pro anyways so they have enough money to pay their own.

Not realy about Olimpia. The club wanted to be in, they are putting $ afaik. If they want to be in, why block?

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 19:33

welshdragon2000 wrote:
Pichulonko wrote:One of the pleasant sights of this Four Nations is seeing new young faces in every team. For instance, out of their 30 man roster, every player in Chile but two is 26 years of age or younger.

Very impressive. They look good going forward, especially into the RWC cycle leading up to 2027. It’s hard to tell exactly what level Chile are at when the other teams picked pretty different squads, but even still, the improvement is huge. Is Chile at full strength or are they missing players? The question though is really, how far can they go? Their side is at a good age to kick in and be competitive in the region. I don’t know much about the region but Argentina seem to have done a lot in terms of development for the teams around them. The ARC provides them with an opportunity to develop younger players while also developing the nation around them. They can always be made stronger also to adapt to the increase in quality. SLAR is the next big thing that they can do. If they take that seriously then that will be huge for South America. Hopefully Colombia and Paraguay can get in on that, and then it’d be great for Brazil and Chile to add franchises to the league. The extra professional players will be a massive gain for them.

Anyone care to put forward any predictions for RWC qualifying for 2023? I’ll go with Canada missing out altogether. I am one for an upset though so take that with a grain of salt :D

It is hard to predict based on 2022 ARC. It will very important the schedule, As every team plays 2 or 3 matches as host and 2 or 3 as visitor, Argentina XV factor matters a lot. The 5 other teams envolved in the classification process will not have the same quantity of matches as host and as visitors, so there will be advantages and disadvantages in this matter. I suppose Uruguay, USA and Uruguay will get a better situation than Brazil and Chile because they participated in the last RWC. If Chile receives Argentina XV, it is very likely that will visit 3 of the classifying teams, which will be a difficult task.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 19:38

Pichulonko wrote:What good is it for Paraguay to have a professional team if non of the starters are Paraguayans and only two, yes, two are part of the line-up at all?

It is better to have a SLAR with Olimpia (with almost not paraguayan players) than not to have a paraguayan side at all. I suppose they establised a development plan in order to incorporate more local players every year. If Jaguares is not envolved in any competition, there will be many argentinian players available for the SLAR teams.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 20:40

ficcp wrote:
welshdragon2000 wrote:
Pichulonko wrote:One of the pleasant sights of this Four Nations is seeing new young faces in every team. For instance, out of their 30 man roster, every player in Chile but two is 26 years of age or younger.

Very impressive. They look good going forward, especially into the RWC cycle leading up to 2027. It’s hard to tell exactly what level Chile are at when the other teams picked pretty different squads, but even still, the improvement is huge. Is Chile at full strength or are they missing players? The question though is really, how far can they go? Their side is at a good age to kick in and be competitive in the region. I don’t know much about the region but Argentina seem to have done a lot in terms of development for the teams around them. The ARC provides them with an opportunity to develop younger players while also developing the nation around them. They can always be made stronger also to adapt to the increase in quality. SLAR is the next big thing that they can do. If they take that seriously then that will be huge for South America. Hopefully Colombia and Paraguay can get in on that, and then it’d be great for Brazil and Chile to add franchises to the league. The extra professional players will be a massive gain for them.

Anyone care to put forward any predictions for RWC qualifying for 2023? I’ll go with Canada missing out altogether. I am one for an upset though so take that with a grain of salt :D

It is hard to predict based on 2022 ARC. It will very important the schedule, As every team plays 2 or 3 matches as host and 2 or 3 as visitor, Argentina XV factor matters a lot. The 5 other teams envolved in the classification process will not have the same quantity of matches as host and as visitors, so there will be advantages and disadvantages in this matter. I suppose Uruguay, USA and Uruguay will get a better situation than Brazil and Chile because they participated in the last RWC. If Chile receives Argentina XV, it is very likely that will visit 3 of the classifying teams, which will be a difficult task.

The World Cup qualifiers will take into consideration both the 2021 and 2022 versions of the ARC. All five teams in pursuit will have five matches at home and five away, though I do agree that Argentina XV will play a huge factor in strategy and player rotation. Don't know exactly how SAR is planning to play it out. Will the points fared against Argentina count for qualifying purposes? Will only the final standings after the two years be considered? And a lot more questions that need to be answered prior to the start of the competition.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 21:20

Don’t the home and away matches alternate each year? So there is no “preference” for RWC qualifying teams.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 06:14

I think matches against Argentina XV would be pretty much like matches against Georgia in the 2017-2018 REC. Georgia was already qualified to the RWC and matches against them did not count for the RWC Qualy.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 17:10

Brazil vs Chile now https://youtu.be/pHYX5NKlHkg

Tupis with a very different lineup. Rosetti as flanker!

15 Laurent Bourda-Couhet, 14 Robert Tenório, 13 Felipe Sancery (c), 12 Moisés Duque, 11 Daniel Sancery, 10 Lucas Spago, 9 Douglas Rauth, 8 André “Buda” Arruda, 7 Adrio de Melo, 6 Yan Rosetti, 5 Gabriel Paganini, 4 Gabriel “Fúria” Oliveira, 3 Matheus “Blade” Rocha, 2 Lucas Abud, 1 Wilton “Nelson” Rebolo;

Suplentes: 16 Alexandre “Texugo” Alves, 17 – Endy Pinheiro, 18 Henrique “Caminhoneiro” Ferreira, 19 Kauã Guimarães, 20 Devon Muller, 21 Felipe Gonçalves, 22 Josh Reeves, 23 Lorenzo Massari, 24 Daniel “Maranhão” Lima, 25 Guilherme “Gaúcho” Dias, 26 Matheus Cruz;

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 17:42

HT - Chile 13 - 10 Brazil. Good match

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 17:50

Apart from the broadcast only in the app (it sould be public on YouTube), Sudamerica Rugby realy improved in the comunications. It was outstanding the content during the South American Championship, the best of all continental confederations, that's for sure. I was a critic, but the work we saw this month shows they are in the right path. SLAR would be well promoted next year. It is only a matter to see it on TV.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 17:53

there is a link for Uru-Arg too?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 18:45

I don't have it yet.

FT - Brazil 13-26 Chile.

Congrats, Chile! Impressive competition. Brazil improved in some ways in the last match, not that bad.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 19:00

Brazil they are painful to watch, they had their chances. I thought they could score in the 78th then they drop the ball.

But seriously congrats to Chile that was impressive.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 19:33

victorsra wrote:Apart from the broadcast only in the app (it sould be public on YouTube), Sudamerica Rugby realy improved in the comunications. It was outstanding the content during the South American Championship, the best of all continental confederations, that's for sure. I was a critic, but the work we saw this month shows they are in the right path. SLAR would be well promoted next year. It is only a matter to see it on TV.

Yes, this along with the success of Chile shows that it was very worthwhile to have this tournament. Would’ve loved for Colombia and Paraguay to get involved too but that would complicate things a bit.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 19:46

Thomas wrote:Brazil they are painful to watch, they had their chances. I thought they could score in the 78th then they drop the ball.

But seriously congrats to Chile that was impressive.

Many errors (and more penalties). But that's ok, new guys, new coach...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 19:47

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:Apart from the broadcast only in the app (it sould be public on YouTube), Sudamerica Rugby realy improved in the comunications. It was outstanding the content during the South American Championship, the best of all continental confederations, that's for sure. I was a critic, but the work we saw this month shows they are in the right path. SLAR would be well promoted next year. It is only a matter to see it on TV.

Yes, this along with the success of Chile shows that it was very worthwhile to have this tournament. Would’ve loved for Colombia and Paraguay to get involved too but that would complicate things a bit.

I honestly think it should have been in November. I think they rushed a bit. Maybe with the fear of a new COVID19 wave in Uruguay eventualy.

Uruguay vs Argentina link https://youtu.be/woakUbuQVLg

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 20:42

This is becoming a rout...

I expected better from Uruguay, home turf and all.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 21:12

Highlights video of Brazil-Chile https://www.instagram.com/p/CGx8aTygwnG/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 21:23

thank you, victor ;) :D

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 21:33

Thomas wrote:This is becoming a rout...

I expected better from Uruguay, home turf and all.

Does home turf make any difference when there are no fans and everyone has been there for a few weeks?

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 22:32

victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:

I honestly think it should have been in November. I think they rushed a bit. Maybe with the fear of a new COVID19 wave in Uruguay eventualy.

Uruguay vs Argentina link https://youtu.be/woakUbuQVLg

Victor you are forgetting that the tournament was already pushed back to October as it was originally scheduled for September.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 23:33

What would the extra 1-2 months do? Are the other unions returning to play? It sounds like Brazil hasn’t even returned to play at all.

I thought the original reason was so that Argentina could get some warm up matches for some players before heading to the rugby championship. But now their players are already in Australia.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 26 Oct 2020, 01:31

Only Uruguay had a full tournament. The other 3 countries had not any activity. Argentina XV has a complete different squad, the onlu puma participating in Uruguay was Ortega Desio.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum