Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Handball

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Handball

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 16 Jan 2021, 19:01

There were regular talks about it in the rugby thread, and as it's the IHF Worlds 2021 I open this topic to talk about it !

The competition is hold in Egypt for the second time, and for the first time with 32 teams.
Two teams had to cancel their participation due to Covid : USA & Czechia. Switzerland and Northern Macedonia are in to replace them.
One funy thing : two arenas are located in city with particular name : 6th of October, a suburb city of Cairo... and the New Administrative Capital, which doesn't have a name and have 0 inhabitant right now !

First round, 8 groups of 4. Best three qualify for the second round, where they keep their points against the original pool opponents & face teams from the other pool (A&B, C&D, E&F, G&H).
Then, first two of the second round qualify for quarter finals, which lead to semi final & final.
Nations which didn't qualify for main group will play the president cup.

Draws :
A : Germany, Hungary, Cape Verde (1st), Uruguay (1st)
B : Spain, Poland, Brazil, Tunisia
C : Croatia, Qatar, Japan, Angola
D : Denmark, Argentina, RD Congo (1st), Bahrain
E : France, Norway, Austria, Switzerland
F : Portugal, Iceland, Algeria, Morocco
G : Sweden, Egypt, Chile, North Macedonia
H : Slovenia, Russia, Belarus, South Korea

Some surprising results right now. First, Switzerland beats Austria ... after landing the same day in Egypt ! Great performance.
Portugal beats Iceland ... semi surprise I would say, as Portugal is a rising nation right now, whereas Iceland is more random, despite still being strong. But anyway, great achievment from Portugal.
France beats Norway ... yeah I know, France is the superpower. But our last results were terrific, whereas Norway has a great team. Good start from our boys.
Spain did a draw against Brazil, and much more surprising, Croatia did it too against Japan.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Handball

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 08:38

So boring first round is over ...

A : surprize yesterday, with Hungary beating Germany. Cape Verde had to cancelled its game due to covid, so a very weak Uruguay team qualify for next round.
1 Hungary 6 (Q)
2 Germany 4 (Q)
3 Uruguay 2 (Q)
4 Cape Verde 0

B : death pool ... Tunisia is over with a -8 plus/minus ratio :thumbdown:
1 Spain 5 (Q)
2 Poland 4 (Q)
3 Brazil 2 (Q)
4 Tunisia 1

--> I : (first two will qualify for quarter final)
1 Hungary 4
2 Spain 3
3 Germany 2
4 Poland 2
5 Brazil 1
6 Uruguay 0

C :
1 Croatia 5 (Q)
2 Qatar 4 (Q)
3 Japan 3 (Q)
4 Angola 0

D : when you see this seeding, and group B seading ...
1 Denmark 6 (Q)
2 Argentina 4 (Q)
3 Bahrain 2 (Q)
4 Congo 0

--> II :
1 Denmark 4
2 Croatia 3
3 Qatar 2
4 Argentina 2
5 Japan 1
6 Bahrain 0

E :
1 France 6 (Q)
2 Norway 4 (Q)
3 Switzerland 2 (Q)
4 Austria 0

F :
1 Portugal 6 (Q)
2 Iceland 4 (Q)
3 Algeria 2 (Q)
4 Morocco 0

--> III :
1 Portugal 4
2 France 4
3 Iceland 2
4 Norway 2
5 Switzerland 0
6 Algeria 0

G : great game by Egypt vs Sweden yesterday, they lost only by one.
1 Sweden 6 (Q)
2 Egypt 4 (Q)
3 North Macedonia 2 (Q)
4 Chile 0

H :
1 Russia 5 (Q)
2 Slovenia 4 (Q)
3 Belarus 3 (Q)
4 Korea 0

---> IV :
1 Sweden 4
2 Russia 3
3 Egypt 2
4 Slovenia 2
5 Belarus 1
6 North Macedonia 0

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Jan 2021, 10:45

Denmark has a free ride to semifinals...

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 21 Jan 2021, 12:45

Yes their way seems very easy.
Quite interesting results yesterday. In groupe 3, Switzerland beats Iceland, and Norway beats Portugal. It's interesting for France, with no opponents from group F taking points.
In group 4, Egypt easily won against Russia, whereas Sweden draw against Belarus. With the easy win of Slovenia against Macedonia, this made the group quite open.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Jan 2021, 21:42

Well, Spain is almost in quarterfinals after beating Germany and to me it proves how all changes most team sports introduce seeking for a faster-paced game can dramatically change the nature of the sport and the balance of powers.

By watching Wikipedia you may think I exaggerate since Spain has been reasonably competitive in handball since the mid-nineties. But to me it's absolutely ridiculous that a squad that should have clearly retired after they failed to qualify for 2016 Olympics (because federation couldn't afford to host the Olympic qualifier it had the right to organise!!!) not only maintains its level but is double European champions, a title that always escaped other Spanish squads stacked of world-class players, many of them nationalised. And to me one of the main reasons is how rule changes such as the change to play without goalkeeper (that I personally dislike) has made the game way less physical. We always struggled and were bullied by bigger teams, because Spaniards often are small guys.

These old guys that looked gassed even in their clubs have been given a second life by rule changes. It makes absolutely no sense that players aged 39, 38, 37 perform better than ever. And that has allowed Spain to still be competitive even though 2008 financial crisis absolutely destroyed our domestic handball, young players can no longer become professional and older just look for any available contract abroad. Interviews with players after winning European Champioships were ludicrous, they knew what they had achieved but they equally knew it didn't matter because nothing would change. They are just making the most out of a 'law accident' just before everything falls apart.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 13:27

I hugely dislike the new GK rule too. It brokes something.

Why your league doesn't recover ? It was quite powerful, now only barca seems fully pro.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 13:48

Because things will never be the same. It was mainly financed by regional and local governments who are now more reluctant to spend money in sport (and need to give something to women's sport too), regional banks (cajas de ahorros, caisses d'épargne) who are now mostly gone through mergers (if a big bank from Barcelona bought a tiny bank from Córdoba, people from Barcelona's headquarters will be less attached to their sponsorship of the local team) and money from property bubble (Portland San Antonio main sponsor was a concrete company, Ciudad Real was financed by a property investor)...

All this support compensated the fact that Spanish handball roots are in small towns who otherwise would have never been competitive at European stage: Valladolid is 13th biggest city but has always been multisport so the cake is divided, Pamplona 29th, Santander 39th, Logroño 42nd, León 53rd, Ciudad Real 100th. It's simply unsustainable.

I'd also add there is a demographic issue. Except for Barcelona banlieue, most handball cities are suffering a population decline and the sport used to be tied to religious schools who no longer have the same weight. And a general pro sport issue in Spain. Our model (ACB, ASOBAL, LNFS) worked well in the 1990s and 2000s but is outdated. Our TV market doesn't allow a fight for TV rights that sustains pro sport, they never made the good jump from public TV coverage to a well-paid, covered and followed pay-TV deal because nobody pays 60 or 70€ a month to watch handball. And managers of leagues have taken a long list of wrong decisions that has erased their sports from the top of mind of younger audiences. Me being a sport freak aged less than 30 makes me an even bigger freak. My people is into TV series and esports. Maybe NBA too. And football, with many prefering Premier League than LaLiga. Not local basketball or handball.

There is this interesting documentary recorded right after 2013 World Championship hosted and won by Spain to explain how awful the domestic scene is:

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 14:45

Thx for your answer !

I understand you say about being a top european clubs, but there's still a gap between top european level & what it's now, basically a semi-pro league. Especially when you have a club like Barça, which is very strong. I don't know if there's another european league in Europe with a club so strong, and other so weak, whatever the sport is ...
Being middle size city might be a problem, but it can be a force too. If there's no other sport there, you can have bigger local supports. Whereas in biggest cities, there's already football... so you eat the rest, and you might be invisible for sponsors, citizens. Anyway, if your mid sized cities are dying... I understand it.

Then you talk about TV rights, I understand it, but there's not that much leagues in Europe which can leave thanks to this. We have many sport leagues, except Ligue 1 & Ligue 2, others has to do without that (ok Top 14 earns a nice amount of cash, but that's very few in their business).
F.e., our handball Starligue clubs earns 140K€ each. You don't go that far with that ...

I'm very surprized for what you say with your basketball league. From here, it looks super strong. They are at the origin of closed euroleague right ? They play in amazing arenas (half of them have 10K+ seats arenas I think ?), they look to be rich... very sad for them this move. And finally quite strange, when you have that much fans. Nearly 5M people to see the championship final, that's more than the Top 14 final here ! That's a very strong fanbase. So finally, NBA is more popular than euroleague ?
(what does it mean "Lo hice a la francesa", do it the french way ? :D )

About our generation (I'm the same than you), I understand what you mean ... when I went to volleyball games in my native city (Beauvais, around 60K inh.), there weren't that much people from our generation. Now I'm living in Amiens (around 150K), I'm going to ice hockey. But there, there are much more young people going. Amiens being a univ city, the club is working well to attract students, and they become regular supporters once they start working. Plus the club is culturally linked to the city. You see many high school students too, meeting together.
The club policy toward its youth public has a lot to see with attraction... if they don't care, they won't attract people. In long term, that might cause their death...

Do really people in Spain prefer Premier League to La Liga ? Is it because your league is too much polarized, with Real/Barça/Atletico taking all the incomes, so successes and glories ?
Here Ligue 1 still has the favour I guess. PSG with its stars made a lot to keep it anyway ... and local identities/rivalties near Marseille & Lyon towards Paris :lol: Premier League is of course the main outsider league, but La Liga is quite well followed with all that Barça/Real fans (+ some other having sympathies for secondary clubs, like Sevilla & the basque clubs).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 16:23

I would need almost a PhD to give you a proper answer on all these points, but to me the main failure of Spanish sport besides football is to have failed to create a great fan experience around its events. Only basketball's Copa del Rey has a unique atmosphere and is a one-off (not spared from criticism as it can only be hosted by +10k arenas), you can't sustain a full championship on it. Vuelta a España generates far less passion than Tour or Giro, despite offering better races in recent times, and its organiser have had to create fake uphill finishes or take the race where they know there will be fans (Costa del Sol in August, Basque Country, Galicia) because otherwise nobody would attend.

I've been to sport events in over a dozen countries and most underwhelming experiences were at home. Besides that, it's true that we lack a multisport culture, especially on the attending-live-events side. I know France often has debates over whether you are a sport country or not, but to me the debate is clear: you are and a bigger one than us. I attended French school. Your EPS school program can make kids discover almost 20 different sports until aged 18. That doesn't happen here. The first time I attended a handball game live was in France, not in Spain, during an exchange with a tiny high school from the outskirts of Lyon. And that was when ASOBAL was the best league in the world.

vino_93 wrote:I understand you say about being a top european clubs, but there's still a gap between top european level & what it's now, basically a semi-pro league. Especially when you have a club like Barça, which is very strong. I don't know if there's another european league in Europe with a club so strong, and other so weak, whatever the sport is ...
Being middle size city might be a problem, but it can be a force too. If there's no other sport there, you can have bigger local supports. Whereas in biggest cities, there's already football... so you eat the rest, and you might be invisible for sponsors, citizens. Anyway, if your mid sized cities are dying... I understand it.

You are absolutely right that in a mid-sized or small cities supporting a sport isn't necessarily a bad thing since it makes it be relevant somewhere. But it's an economic problem. There are barely any big companies or millionaires settled there. It's almost impossible to see in Spain a Pierre Fabre supporting Castres. The closest thing would be Roig family with Villarreal football club... but even for basketball they settled in Valencia, not a 40,000 inhabitants town.

vino_93 wrote:Then you talk about TV rights, I understand it, but there's not that much leagues in Europe which can leave thanks to this. We have many sport leagues, except Ligue 1 & Ligue 2, others has to do without that (ok Top 14 earns a nice amount of cash, but that's very few in their business).
F.e., our handball Starligue clubs earns 140K€ each. You don't go that far with that ...

ASOBAL gets 10,000 for each club, down from 20,000 in Movistar. So 14 times less than French teams :shock:

vino_93 wrote:I'm very surprized for what you say with your basketball league. From here, it looks super strong. They are at the origin of closed euroleague right ? They play in amazing arenas (half of them have 10K+ seats arenas I think ?), they look to be rich... very sad for them this move. And finally quite strange, when you have that much fans. Nearly 5M people to see the championship final, that's more than the Top 14 final here ! That's a very strong fanbase. So finally, NBA is more popular than euroleague ?
(what does it mean "Lo hice a la francesa", do it the french way ? :D )

Our ACB basketball league is strong, it would be stupid to deny that. But it has very shaky grounds and is declining. Its average fan is a +45 years old man. Youngsters focus on NBA, big clubs on Euroleague and fans from small clubs feel they are being neglected, they are just sparrings for Real Madrid and Barça. In addition to that, ACB acted like a cartel and put crazy requisites to accept promoted teams like financial canons over 2 M€ or +5,000 arenas.

One of the teams that is clearly saving today's ACB thanks to their approach, engaged fanbase, social media activity and performances, Burgos, was rejected three times after gaining their right to get promoted on the field. On the other side, a historic team like Estudiantes should have been relegated and wasn't because no team was eligible to get promoted. So you get top teams who don't care about ACB and bottom teams whose performance doesn't matter. Hardly a good recipe.

By the way, that 5M figure was from a final 23 years ago on FTA public TV. Now Movistar registers 5,000 TV viewers in some ACB games... I'm not saying Spanish basketball is going to die. Situation isn't as critical as in handball because people still follow NBA (nobody follows Handball Bundesliga) and national team. And basketball federation has most of the time done a top-notch job. Even before 2006 World Cup win they knew they had brilliant players with a spectacular way of playing and they organised long summer tours all around Spain (€€€). All national teams from U14 gather every summer. Most European underage finals are broadcast on public TV. Holy shit, I must admit that one of my last big sporting joys pre-COVID was a small ball Spain defeat huge France in U16 Euro final. And they know that unlike in handball, players will keep coming because the game is even more popular among immigrants.

I imagine you talk about "despedirse a la francesa", to quit without saying goodbye. "Hacer un francés" is simply doing a blowjob, and what you call "espagnole" is for us "cubana" :lol:

vino_93 wrote:About our generation (I'm the same than you), I understand what you mean ... when I went to volleyball games in my native city (Beauvais, around 60K inh.), there weren't that much people from our generation. Now I'm living in Amiens (around 150K), I'm going to ice hockey. But there, there are much more young people going. Amiens being a univ city, the club is working well to attract students, and they become regular supporters once they start working. Plus the club is culturally linked to the city. You see many high school students too, meeting together.
The club policy toward its youth public has a lot to see with attraction... if they don't care, they won't attract people. In long term, that might cause their death...

We are missing that Amiens approach pretty much everywhere here. I studied in a uni town and was never attracted to any of its sport clubs, despite its LaLiga team having very poor attendances. I even suggested rugby national team to relocate there and all reactions from Spanish fans were that it's too far and blah, blah, blah. Once again, no interest to promote and no culture of attending live events. Bad combination. It's not even about money. I've been a Euroleague ticket season-holder for like 100€...

vino_93 wrote:Do really people in Spain prefer Premier League to La Liga ? Is it because your league is too much polarized, with Real/Barça/Atletico taking all the incomes, so successes and glories ?
Here Ligue 1 still has the favour I guess. PSG with its stars made a lot to keep it anyway ... and local identities/rivalties near Marseille & Lyon towards Paris :lol: Premier League is of course the main outsider league, but La Liga is quite well followed with all that Barça/Real fans (+ some other having sympathies for secondary clubs, like Sevilla & the basque clubs).

General people no, but among youngsters... It's a reasonable doubt. See the amount of followers these guys covering Premier League in Spanish have. I don't think it is because of the league's polarisation. Money isn't spread because people don't care about an Eibar v Getafe game. Yet Getafe then faces Ajax on Europa League and beats them. They are good enough. But they don't generate any engagement.

LaLiga is doing a huge investment to improve its image, both among general public and younger generations. Most newspapers in Spain publish paid articles on how much good LaLiga generates for Spain and our society, to fight the image of football being protected and footballers being new riches apart from our society. They also sponsor most other sport federations through LaLiga4Sports program (and broadcast ASOBAL...). And they've contracted Twitch casters to comment LaLiga games.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 12:58

Thanks for that great answers ! I understand better difficulties. No attendencies, difficulties to expand. But as the show is poor ... why would someone come ? classic shit.

A few points :D
About multisport culture in France : it's true ! EPS was great ...
I was thinking about it ... I did with school : gymnastics (acrobatic & "classic") --> didn't like it at all :lol: ; athletics (100m, 400m, 1500m, hurdles, relay, long jump, high jump, javelin throw, shot put), badminton, basketball, orienteering, climbing, football, futsal, handball, field hockey (not on grass, but ok), swimming, rugby (disappointing at school), tennis, table tennis, ultimate & volleyball !
there was an attempt to do wrestling, but it failed :lol:
I guess our lack of sport culture is more in our public power. You know, we are France, we have the cultuuuuuure. Mass sport & mass culture is shitty, that's not good. No no no ... so we lack of top infrastructure, especially for indoor sports (our stadiums are more than correct, even if modern ones are poorly located). Talking about handball, it's hugely popular in Nantes & Montpellier. You know there are good modern arenas there. But the clubs can't play there ... only for european competitions. Otherwise, they should let it free for concerts ... as if it's impossible to do both :roll:

So you don't play sport at school in Spain ?

About TV rights : ok, that's much more in France. 140K, it might pay you a good player more than in Spain. But 140K, it's nothing for our clubs. Biggest ones (outside of PSG) have around 7-8M€ budgets (Aix, Nantes, Montpellier). And other clubs are between 3 to 4,5M€ budget. So you see, 140K euros ... that's nothing.
And there's just 0 for basketball, volleyball, ice hockey ... but leagues are pro anyway.

Thank for that interesting insight view of basketball league. I know that was a long time ago for the tv attendance for basketball, but what I mean is that it wasn't unlogicial to try to move on to a private channel to generate monney. At the same time in France, Canal+ started to invest in Top 14. I guess they wanted to do the same in Spain with basketball. Unfortunately it failed ...

Interesting stories about cubana :lol: I make me think about "French fries" in english, that we call frites belges (belgian fries). Maybe seen from outside, we just notice that the people doing it speak a language ... whereas in the language, we really know who is doing it the best :lol:

You say people don't care about Eibar vs Getafe, and that's quite logicial because without money, the teams are random most of the time. If money would be better split in spanish league, other teams might be stronger, and attract more fans. The gap between the big three and the other is so big in TV rights that there can't be a fair competition.

Talking about handball worlds :D
Group III is still very open. Despite its win against Iceland, France isn't qualified right now, as Norway beats Algeria & Portugal beats Switzerland. France is leading the pool with 8 pts, others have 6.
If Portugal wins :
by one or two goals : France 1, Portugal 2
by 3 to 6 goals : Portugal 1, France 2
by 7 goals or more (and Norway wins) : Portugal 1, Norway 2
by 7 goals or more (and Norway loses) : Portugal 1, France 2

In Group IV, that's even more open. Egypt is on fire and beats Belarus. Sweden made another draw, against Slovenia. So, Egypt & Sweden have 6 pts, Russia & Slovenia 5. Slovenia will play Egypt, Russia will play Sweden. You win, you qualify. You lose, you're out ... if you draw ... let's see other results :D

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 15:06

I know Portugal recent gave you an upset, but they clearly need more international high level tournaments to pull this one...

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 15:29

yes it should be ok, but you never know ... our team is unpredictable. Not very good since the beginning, even if we won all our games.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 15:41

Except maybe Hungary, no team is playing well. Circumstances are clearly affecting the quality of the game.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 19:15

Well, there goes the earthquake or the tournament: Argentina beats Croatia.

It's unfortunate for us, but ASOBAL downfall at least meant something of value for international handball: lots of Spanish coaches offering their services to second and third rank national teams.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021, 08:36

Great from Argentina !

So for France, that was finally easy. More difficult for Norway, which beats Iceland by 2.
In the other group, easy win for Sweden against Russia, and draw for Egypt against Slovenia. Sweden & Egypt are qualified !

Rankings for group III :
1 France 10 (Q)
2 Norway 8 (Q)
3 Portugal 6
4 Switzerland 4
5 Iceland 2
6 Algeria 0

Group IV :
1 Sweden 8 (Q)
2 Egypt 7 (Q)
3 Slovenia 6
4 Russia 5
5 Belarus 4
6 Macedonia 0

President Cup, group II :
1 Austria 6
2 Chile 4
3 Morocco 2
4 South Korea 0

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 25 Jan 2021, 10:25

vino_93 wrote:So you don't play sport at school in Spain ?

Just to make this clear and without willing to extend the off topic much longer. We have sport at school but nobody takes it seriously. It's known here an "asignatura María", these courses we all know it's almost impossible to fail because you should be stupid to. It's on the same level as religion and plastic arts.

You would never be aware of the cultural shock it was for my family to have a kid who sometimes didn't pass EPS and Arts Plastiques. And nobody understands how EPS can have any weight in univesity access like for your Baccalauréat, it's thought to be almost a joke. Actually I enjoyed. Knowing it wasn't my best course and it risked to severely sink my average grade, I carefully picked the menu I was offered in Terminale and ended up with my best ever results (teacher probably didn't want either to be the culprit of one good pupil not reaching the required grade to have access to some university courses in Spain). I'm probably prouder of that than of the rest of my Baccalauréat, which I didn't study because it clashed with Le Mans first win for a Spanish driver :D

Here EPS is basically pure gymnastics and little more, unless the teacher in your school is somebody passionate about a sport in particular. Sport as such is trained and played after school, in the afternoon. Sometimes in the very same building, as schools are often attached to one sport over another. As explained in the past, it's often linked to religious schools but not only. Estudiantes basketball club, now in the headlines because they signed JJ Barea to play in ACB, is literally a school club born out of Ramiro de Maeztu public school who has won Copa del Rey and even reached Euroleague's Final Four in 1992. Current Unicaja Málaga, who won ACB league, Cup and reached Final Four between 2005 and 2007, is the fusion of Caja de Ronda and Maristas, the latter being a religious school. Actually Marists are also behind the expansion of handball in Spain with clubs like Ademar León.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 26 Jan 2021, 09:05

Thx !

So Spain beats Hungary, which let down. Shame, would have been cool to face you !
In group III, Qatar beats Argentina by one point ... with Croatie hammered by Denmark, this makes Qatar qualifying !

Ranking Group I :
1 Spain 9 (Q)
2 Hungary 8 (Q)
3 Germany 5
4 Poland 5
5 Brazil 3
6 Uruguay 0

Groupe II :
1 Denmark 10 (Q)
2 Qatar 6 (Q)
3 Argentina 6
4 Croatia 5
5 Japan 3
6 Bahrain 0

President Cup, Group I :
1 Tunisia 6 (Q)
2 RDC 4
3 Angola 2
4 Cape Verde 0

President Cup, classification games :
31st : South Korea - Cape Verde (South Korea already winner, as Cape Verde is out for covid)
29th : Angola - Morocco
27th : RDC - Chile
25th : Tunisia - Austria

Quarter finals :
Spain - Norway
Denmark - Egypt
France - Hungary
Sweden - Qatar

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 20:13

Well, that Denmark-Egypt is simply an all-sport highlight of 2021. Crazy.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 21:18

Looks crazy yes !

And France beats Hungary in overtime. What a game that was too ! Sweden now 8-)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 08:17

1/4 :
Denmark 39-38 Egypt (S/O)
Sweden 35-23 Qatar (easy, easy)
Spain 31-26 Norway
France 35-32 Hungary (OT)

So in semi finales :
France - Sweden
Spain - Denmark

I share with you the highlights of Denmark - Egypt, totally crazy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkckRnYXv0
So many mistakes from both sides :lol: Hansen mistake is totally stupid, he can be happy that it has no impact on the Denmark qualification ...

Ranking games :
29th : Morocco 30-29 Angola (S/O)
27th : Chile 35-30 Congo
25th : Tunisia 37-33 Austria

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 22:04

Unfortunate that we're meeting for bronze, but Nordics kicked well our asses...

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 10:05

Well ...
Sweden 32-26 France
Denmark 35-33 Spain

@Armchair : for you that might be a disappointment, but for us that's good enough to be there. A brand new coach, which played only two games before the Worlds with the team.
A big problem with goalkeepers ... Gérard is nowhere. Pardin, which was number 2, did well but was early injured. So Gentil, number 3 was called ... he did correctly for a number 3. But without a strong number 1, impossible to go to the finale ...
Offensively ... we are nowhere. We have great players which can make the difference by themselves, but there's very few movements. Yesterday it was blatant against a good swedish team. If the defense is in place, we can't make the difference. We were quite fortunate to beat Hungary, which has a poor depth. Otherwise their "big 6" was impossible to move for us ... and against them, we lost great leaders (Luka Karabatic & Timothey N'Guessan). We missed them yesterday, especially in defense.
So all in all ... being anew in the Top 4, for the 13th times in the last 15 worlds, it's very good (especially after ended 14th of the last Euro) ! It will give the team confidence for the olympic qualifying tournament, where we'll have to play Portugal that we beat, Croatia & Tunisia which didn't make a very good tournament. (and I prefer this group to the third one with Germany, Sweden & Slovenia !)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 11:55

No, it wasn't a disappointment. Handball is on a downward trend here and yesterday it was a pleasant surprise to see the youngsters shine. Only a crazy missed shot 20 seconds from the end prevented going into OT despite Denmark leading the whole match. It's just sad when you're so close, but if you had asked me two weeks ago, semifinals were a great result already.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 13:29

So we are both happy to be there :)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 01 Feb 2021, 09:18

So Denmark is anew world champion, beating Sweden 26-24 in finale. That's their second title in a row.
Spain is third, beating France 35-29.

Return to Other subjects