Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2021 Womens Rugby World Cup

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2021 Womens Rugby World Cup

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 16:49

After that the Scottish federation revealed that Italy v Scotland on December 5th is expected to be part both of 6N and RWCQ, a sort of confirmation of the scheduling of the RWC Euro Qualifiers at the end of 2020 comes also from the Irish federation

"...Rugby Europe (is) currently working on the rescheduling of the RWC 2021 qualification tournament for later this year"

http://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/08/06/res ... and-women/

In the article the Irish coach remarks that these qualifiers are their main target, while the last fixtures of the 6N are seen almost just as warming up games

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 20:17

According to this interview of tho weeks ago, FER was planning to play...

España v Holanda el 24 de Octubre de 2020
España v Rusia el 31 de Octubre de 2020

Clasificacion para Copa del Mundo 2021 en Diciembre 2020
España v Irlanda
España v Escocia
Italia v España

https://www.revista22.es/2020/07/alfons ... e-cumplir/

So at that data they were still hypothesizing a round robin for the WC qualifiers

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 21:21

I swear I read that interview and didn't see the dates at the time. Thanks a lot.

Anyway I'm still pessimistic.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 07 Aug 2020, 14:55

Women's cricket World Cup - due to be in New Zealand in February - has been postponed until 2022.

Unclear whether this is a decision that orginated with the ICC, or New Zealand authorities, or a combination of the two, but to cancel a major women's (non-contact) team sport event due to take place in New Zealand six months ahead is noteworthy. This may also be related to a qualification issue (which could yet be a problem for the the Rugby World Cup) after the qualifier due to take place last month was postponed.

If I were planning to attend the World Cup i'd be holding off on booking my plane tickets.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 07 Aug 2020, 16:39

Hmm, not a good clue :|

Postby armchair_expert » Fri, 07 Aug 2020, 17:48

WRWC has already been moved once from 2018 to 2017 to avoid clashes with Olympics and RWC 7s on even years

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 08 Aug 2020, 10:40

Canalina wrote:Hmm, not a good clue :|
Frankly I'd not be in a rush about booking tickets for Tokyo either.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 15:58

Date for the European qualy released https://www.world.rugby/news/579719/dat ... qualifiers

Defending champions Spain will host the two remaining matches in the Rugby Europe Women’s Championship, facing Russia on the weekend of 24-25 October and then the Netherlands a week later on 31 October.

The winner of the Women’s Championship will join Ireland, Italy and Scotland in the Rugby Europe RWC 2021 qualifier, which will take place as a round robin tournament on the weekends of 5, 12 and 19 December.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 19:55

I didn't expect a round robin, I thought they were going to opt for a more simple format; but more games = ok for we spectators

Collateral doubts are: will the round robin be played in one only country? Will the spectators be admitted?

A nice resuming table by Ferugby.es

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 23:04

When is it reasonable to have the global Repechage? February? March? I think April is already too late. Besides, most players have jobs, right? It is hard to ask in April 1 month of vacancies in September...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 12:32

victorsra wrote:When is it reasonable to have the global Repechage? February? March? I think April is already too late. Besides, most players have jobs, right? It is hard to ask in April 1 month of vacancies in September...
If Asian Champs/Qualifier is not until 2021 hard to see repechage any time before March.

May would probably not be too late, but the big concern with the World Cup is the lack of preparation. Outside of Australia and New Zealand I don't think players from any nations qualified or likely to qualify have played any rugby for nearly 6 months. What we hear from the USA sounds like near chaos.

It could yet all come together - there is time - but I think it would be optimistic to say that the WRWC is even 60:40

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 17:12

https://www.world.rugby/news/579751/wor ... -selection

I understand the scope of such a decision but I think to see also some weak points: the first is that presenting four big events in the same shot they could risk to lose part of their special aura, like they were not a special event but just a piece of a series of events; the second possibile weak point is that, mostly on the women RWC side, you risk to have no candidates for one of the events at the fixed date (May 2022, in this case). Or you may risk that a nation chosen for an edition distant 9 years finds herself, after some years, forced to cancel the candidature due to a changed economical situation

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 17:37

This sunday WR re-shows on its social media the game Spain v Italy from the World Cup 2017.
Unfortunately it's the first one, in that edition Italy and Spain met twice and surely we Italians would have more loved to see the second game...
To note that in the same weekend WR will re-show also a game from the men's World Cup 2019, but the announcing affiche doesn't specify at all that one match is women's and one men's. I don't judge wrong the decision of rebranding all the World Cups cutting the gender specification (I'm still waiting to understand if it's a good decision or not), but presenting two games of different gender without specifications is pushing the things a bit too far, I think. Not all the fans may understand just by the date and the fixture if a game is men's or women's

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 21:10

Kenya v Colombia should be in January or February 2021 according to the Colombian federation
https://www.colombiasports.net/polidepo ... a-de-rugby

This suggests that also the Asian qualifying will be tentatively in the very first months of the new year, to have room for the repechage tournament

A question mark remains about the other barrage, Samoa v Tonga

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 27 Aug 2020, 12:19

To me it makes absolutely no sense to avoid mentioning the gender.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 12:18

Replicating a similar discussion on men's section, I think that in 2025 the times could be ready for an enlargement to 16 teams. Last autumn Japan gave a scare to Italy: the game, in Italy, ended in a draw but the asian team probably deserved to win. So I think we have currently at least 13 nations totally deserving a place in the World Cup: the six nations, Nze, Aus, Usa, Can, Fij, Jap, Spa.
The other three could be Samoa and two between Hong Kong (which already played in the last World Cup, but with many large defeats), Kazakhstan, Russia and Netherlands. The repechage tournament of this edition will say if also Colombia or Kenya may aspire to a place in the final phase.
Fact is, anyway, that at the moment a 16-teams World Cup would have a very tiny margin: if, for example, Russia and Netherlands decided to drop the XV program to focus on 7s or due to economic lack, we would risk to have Finland or Czech Republic qualified to the final phase, and maybe the gap with the top teams would result really too large

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 19:01

Canalina wrote:Replicating a similar discussion on men's section, I think that in 2025 the times could be ready for an enlargement to 16 teams. Last autumn Japan gave a scare to Italy: the game, in Italy, ended in a draw but the asian team probably deserved to win. So I think we have currently at least 13 nations totally deserving a place in the World Cup: the six nations, Nze, Aus, Usa, Can, Fij, Jap, Spa.
The other three could be Samoa and two between Hong Kong (which already played in the last World Cup, but with many large defeats), Kazakhstan, Russia and Netherlands. The repechage tournament of this edition will say if also Colombia or Kenya may aspire to a place in the final phase.
Fact is, anyway, that at the moment a 16-teams World Cup would have a very tiny margin: if, for example, Russia and Netherlands decided to drop the XV program to focus on 7s or due to economic lack, we would risk to have Finland or Czech Republic qualified to the final phase, and maybe the gap with the top teams would result really too large

Staying at 12 means the World Cup is out of the question for mamy teams - especiallly in Europe. It is so difficult to qualify from Europe that it would not be a surprise if Russia or Netherlands did drop XVs - giving them a real chance of winning a place could transform that. You have to wonder what impact Russia could have if their put half of the effort they put into 7s into 15s.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 19:07

And 16 teams in Women's case also don't realy messes with the level.

We have at least 14 teams able to play it right now:

- NZ, Australia, Fiji
- Japan
- Canada, USA
- South Africa
- France, Italy, Spain, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland

Hong Kong played the last one, but in a lower level, while Samoa, Netherlands and Kazakhstan have experience, Russia has plenty conditions...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 29 Aug 2020, 07:50

Yes, I forgot South Africa

There's definitively room for a 16 teams World Cup, even the margin is tiny

Maybe also China would be a candidate for a place, if they decided to focus more on XV. They were able to defeat Kazakstan on game 1 of the qualifying barrage

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 29 Aug 2020, 10:48

16 needs to come sooner rather than later.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 29 Aug 2020, 16:32

Women's rugby can soon suffer naturaly a bigger gap between top teams and the rest, depending on how many and whch countries will make viable professionalism (or semi-professionalism). This will be used as an argument to block expansion. But whilst 6Ns are out, chances are to see it expanding to 16. But don't expect 20 teams for a realy long time.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 13:26

The main issues is there are two nations that have professionals, and the rest don't. Watching England play their 6 Nations competitors, the difference in fitness and skill is like night and day. Women vs girls.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 14:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:The main issues is there are two nations that have professionals, and the rest don't. Watching England play their 6 Nations competitors, the difference in fitness and skill is like night and day. Women vs girls.

It's almost an insuperable barrier because of the distraction of sevens. France can give the top two a game, but Canada, USA and Ireland have fallen behind thanks to their unions prioitising sevens. Apart from the top three not only is there insufficient funding, the player base is just too small not helped by a lack of any decent domestic rugby to bring players on.

On the plus side - although three of the four the semi-finalists in any World Cup for the forseeable future will be a given - the potetial fo exciting upsets outside the top half-dozen teams is significant. There isn't that much to choose between - say - Scotland and Spain, Netherlands or Russia, especially if the latter three if they had the incentive of a regular place at the top table. The group stages of a 16-team World Cup could have more exciting and unpredictable games than the 12-team format.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 14:00

First Italian stage of this new season; 26 players will gather in Parma between 11 and 13 september. The players involved in the french Elite 1 (Arrighetti, Bettoni, Ferrari, Sgorbini, Tounesi, Fedrighi, Salvadego, Ruzza...) are not present in the list

Silvia ARPANO (no club)
Sara BARATTIN (Arredissima Villorba)
Lucia CAMMARANO (Belve Neroverdi)
Beatrice CAPOMAGGI (Unione Capitolina)
Giulia CAVINA (CUS Milano)
Micol CAVINA (Arredissima Villorba)
Giulia CERATO (Valsugana Padova)
Giordana DUCA (Valsugana Padova)
Giada FRANCO (Rugby Colorno)
Manuela FURLAN (Arredissima Villorba)
Lucia GAI (Valsugana Padova)
Elisa GIORDANO (Valsugana Padova)
Isabella LOCATELLI (Monza)
Veronica MADIA (Colorno)
Maria MAGATTI (CUS Milano)
Benedetta MANCINI (Unione Capitolina)
Michela MERLO (Kawasaki Calvisano)
Aura MUZZO (Arredissima Villorba)
Vittoria OSTUNI MINUZZI (Valsugana Padova)
Laura PAGANINI (CUS Milano)
Beatrice RIGONI (Valsugana Padova)
Camilla SARASSO (Itinera CUS Torino)
Francesca SBERNA (Kawasaki Robot Calvisano)
Michela SILLARI (Valsugana Padova)
Erika SKOFCA (Valsugana Padova)
Sofia STEFAN (Valsugana Padova)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 10:58

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby