Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2021 Womens Rugby World Cup

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2021 Womens Rugby World Cup

Postby victorsra » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 18:54

So, maybe RWC Qualy matches will fit in the middle of it? Or they'll be after it? Or before it?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 06 Feb 2021, 00:00

victorsra wrote:So, maybe RWC Qualy matches will fit in the middle of it? Or they'll be after it? Or before it?
It is clear that there is nothing has yet been decided about the qualifiers. If they were planned for before the 6N then we'd know the dates by now. The organisers did tell us that 6N games will not be count as world cup qualification games... unless they change their minds. So that is as clear as mud.

The only snag with playing straght after the 6N is that format for the 6N sees Ireland playing three back to back games - so its unlikely they will want to/be asked to play a fourth (and maybe fifth) immediately afterwards.

So that must push the European quaifier into late May/June - and the world repechage into... July?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 11:51

It might be the best for this year if the highest ranked teams simply make up the numbers. Not ideal, but most would be understanding.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 12:19

thatrugbyguy wrote:It might be the best for this year if the highest ranked teams simply make up the numbers. Not ideal, but most would be understanding.

In that scenario Kenya qualifies ahead of Colombia...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 18:08

Thomas wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:It might be the best for this year if the highest ranked teams simply make up the numbers. Not ideal, but most would be understanding.

No, because Kenya vs Colombia only qualifies to the Repechage.

If the ranking is used, Japan (Asia spot), Italy (Europe spot) and Ireland (Repechage spot) would qualify.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 18:19

victorsra wrote:
Thomas wrote:

No, because Kenya vs Colombia only qualifies to the Repechage.

If the ranking is used, Japan (Asia spot), Italy (Europe spot) and Ireland (Repechage spot) would qualify.
1. ENGLAND 94.30 ****QUALIFIED
2. NEW ZEALAND 93.88 ****QUALIFIED
3. CANADA 87.49****QUALIFIED
4. FRANCE 84.32****QUALIFIED
5. AUSTRALIA 78.68****QUALIFIED
6. USA 78.19****QUALIFIED
7. ITALY 77.91
8. IRELAND 74.68
9. WALES 73.33 ****QUALIFIED
10. SPAIN 72.54
11. SCOTLAND 70.67
12. JAPAN 65.80
13. SOUTH AFRICA 63.39****QUALIFIED
14. RUSSIA 61.10
15. KAZAKHSTAN 60.45
16. SAMOA 59.72
17. NETHERLANDS 58.27
18. HONG KONG 57.89
19. SWEDEN 57.73
20. Germany 57.72
21. Fiji 52.62 ****QUALIFIED

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 18:56

Yes, but Japan and not Spain would qualify, as there must be an Asian in the RWC.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 02:02

Honestly, I don't think we can be choosey in this situation about whether each region is represented, if who qualifies it based on ranking it has to be the highest ranked teams regardless of where they are from. Look, it's not ideal and no-one is arguing it's fair, but if the tournament is to somehow be played there simply isn't the time left to get qualifiers organised before August, unless WR move the tournament to next year.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 04:52

They won't change the rules right now. What they can do is cancel remaining matches (all declared draws) and, therefore, use the Ranking to define who qualifies in each spot. Which means 1 European, 1 Asian and 1 Overall. To change the continent's split has a problematic political weight. But is is very likely the Asian Qualy will go on in March.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 08:39

Lets be honest with ourselves though, the women's tournament is not exactly an area of the game that is likely to get overly political.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 09:55

About the participants to the remaining qualifying games

- Hong Kong: strangely in their website's detailed events list there's no mention of the March 5, 9, 13 asian qualifiers, to be hosted at HK King's Park according to Asia Rugby. No recent mentions also about national team's gatherings

- Japan: they are making some preparatory stages so it should be all ok on their side

- Kazakhstan: I found no news

- Kenya: their national 7s teams is embarking for two weeks in Spain, so their XV team should be able to train and play too
https://dailysport.co.ke/2021/02/05/ola ... lionesses/

- Colombia: no news found

- Samoa: as already posted, they're waiting for repechage opponents, but fearing that the repechage will no go ahead
https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... -cup-dream

- Spain and Russia: they had or are having preparatory stages, so all ok

- Netherlands: no news, from a quick search

- Ireland, Italy, Scotland: they're certainly ready to play, but they still don't know when they will have to

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 15:51

thatrugbyguy wrote:Lets be honest with ourselves though, the women's tournament is not exactly an area of the game that is likely to get overly political.

True, but there is no reason to not award an Asian a spot. Japan has just beaten Scotland in Scotland (24-20) and drew Italy in Italy (17-17), both in 2019. Unnecessary trouble.

Postby armchair_expert » Tue, 09 Feb 2021, 15:16

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby- ... w-23465191
And the World Cup qualifiers? Will they be incorporated into the Six Nations in some shape or form?

“Everything is in pencils now," she said. "It used to be a big permanent marker.

"Now it’s a pencil with an eraser little close by to any schedule.

"We’re not sure of our opponents, we’re not sure where they’ll be on but we know they’re in the calendar for March.

"We’re waiting on Russia to play Spain. I know Spain did announce their squad next week so they're full steam ahead for that game - I'm not sure when it is but it has to happen, it's how we're gonna to qualify for this World Cup.

"Depending on the outcome of that game, we either play Spain or Scotland.

"At the moment, they’re not looking at the Six Nations as part of the qualifiers, there was talk at one stage if they didn’t get the qualifiers played it was going to go on our Six Nations rankings.
<...>
“We’d a two-week break before we came in. This was weekend one of Six Nations 2021. We’ve next weekend off then we’re in every single weekend up until April, hoping for some World Cup qualifiers in there."

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 09 Feb 2021, 16:38

armchair_expert wrote:https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/eimear-considine-sister-ailishs-aflw-23465191
"We’re waiting on Russia to play Spain. I know Spain did announce their squad next week so they're full steam ahead for that game - I'm not sure when it is but it has to happen, it's how we're gonna to qualify for this World Cup.

"Depending on the outcome of that game, we either play Spain or Scotland.

I read that like a semifinals+final format, so not round robin.
Between the qualifying teams Ireland is the second best ranked after Italy, while Scotland is ranked worse than Spain but better then Russia. So if Spain defeat Russia, Ireland (#2) play with Spain (#3) and Italy (#1) play with Scotland (#4); and if Russia defeat Spain, the #3 becomes Scotland and so Ireland play with them, while Italy play with Russia.
This is at least as I read those lines

We may hypotisize these scenarios for the euro qualifiers
Plan A: semifinals and final (round robin definitively out of the plans)
Plan B: using the Six Nations ranking (but they must say it before the start of the 6N, of course)
Plan C: using the WR ranking, without playing any game

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 09 Feb 2021, 18:02

Assuming Japan is Asia's favorite and nobody will be able to beat the European in the Repechage, the problem realy is Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Spain are too close and are amateurs/semi-pros. Players from these 4 countries are in a realy bad situation, because all of them know they can play the RWC but they won't have time to plan their personal lifes...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 07:48

The unwilled hypothesis of a qualifying by ranking becomes even closer
https://www.world.rugby/news/615174/asi ... hip-update

Asia Rugby qualifiers in Hong Kong cancelled

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 13:21

D'après les dernières rumeurs qui viennent de chez Asia Rugby, le président Qais Al Dhalai souhaiterait en profiter pour faire jouer les éliminatoires asiatiques aux Emirats arabes unis.
(according to rumors coming from Asia Rugby, the confederation chairman is projecting to have the qualifiers hosted by the Arab Emirates)

https://www.asierugby.com/post/les-éliminatoires-asiatiques-de-la-coupe-du-monde-de-rugby-de-2021-reportés

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 13:37

About Netherlands prearation
https://www.rugby.nl/blog/oranjedames-m ... gen-spanje

ORANGE WOMEN GETTING READY FOR BATTLE AGAINST SPAIN
15/02/2021

Just like the men's selection, the women's selection has also been training hard since January in preparation for the next international match. It has recently become apparent to the Orange gentlemen that in these uncertain times it can change at any time, but for the time being it looks like the match against Spain on February 27 will continue. High time for an update.

World Cup ticket
The Orange Ladies play in the Women's XV Championship, the highest league in Rugby Europe, along with Russia and Spain. In March 2020, our ladies narrowly lost to Russia in a nerve-racking match, and the game against Spain, which was to take place later in April, was postponed by Covid-19. Spain and Russia also have to compete against each other. This means that, despite the start of the new year, there are still games from last year to be played.

The European Championship title, which Spain has had for several years now, serves as the path to European qualification for the 2021 World Cup in New Zealand this season. An important motivation for Rugby Europe to continue this match despite the circumstances. An even greater motivation for the ladies to win this competition.

The Netherlands will take on the defending champion in Spain on February 27. A week earlier, on February 20, Russia and Spain will play against each other. which also ensures that the match between Spain and the Netherlands can determine who has the chance to win a World Cup ticket.

Vibrant team
Since last season, we have been working hard with a new and young team, with an average age of 22 years. “We now have a young, vibrant and enthusiastic team that still has a long way to go,” says head coach Sylke Haverkorn. “Our eyes are on the 2024 World Cup in France (the Olympic Games, maybe?). The bigger goal is to be there with the Orange Ladies. There is more than enough talent around in the Netherlands to be able to achieve that goal. ”

The development of the team can be seen in the players who are given the opportunity to play in a foreign professional league. With now four players in Spain, two in Japan, one in France and one in the English league, the experience and level of the Dutch team is getting higher and higher.

The challenge for head coach Haverkorn and the staff is now to prepare the team that has been sitting for a long time again for this important match. There is no shortage of enthusiasm and commitment in this team, but last month it became clear that a time like this requires more creativity.

Yet this crazy period also has its advantages; club training is not allowed yet, so that the staff and the team can fully focus on the match and it is possible to meet more often. In short: valuable time for the entire team to get to know each other better, both on and around the field.

The match will be played just outside Madrid in the stadium called Pedro Escartín. It is possible to follow the ladies live on Rugby Europe TV. Do you want to wish the ladies good luck? Let them know with the hashtag #SamenOranje

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 21:58

Some sort of award here for the worst women's rugby interview... well, not foreveer, but at least in the past decade or more.

Its a preview interview for the Spanish European Championship match with Russia's Maria Perestyak that should have some sort of award.

5 questions. Two effectivly about her baby, two about her husband, one about the match.

I kid you not. Read it and weep:

- How soon did you return to rugby after giving birth? How long has it been since that moment?

- Six months after Dobromir was born, I already played in the Russian Rugby-7 Championship.

- Has the fact that you become a mother changed your views on rugby?

- My views on rugby have not changed in any way. I think and reason the same way, I hope!

On February 7, Vladislav Perestyak, who plays for RK Lokomotiv-Penza, played his first official match with the Russian national team. It was a great joy for Maria:

- Yes, my husband made his debut for the national team, and I am very proud of him, of course! Of course, I watched this game, and our family too.

- Are you and Vladislav talking about rugby or just about the family?

- We are talking about rugby, and about family, and about many other things.

On February 20, the Russian national team will play in Guadalajara against the Spanish national team. Maria is confident that the Russians will be able to compete for victory:

- Why not? There is always a chance to beat this or that team. There are no invincibles!

- Is it great to be together in the national team again?

- Yes of course! But I miss my son very much. I want to see and kiss my baby doll sooner!

https://rugby.ru/news/mariya-perestyak-nepobedimykh-ne-byvaet-/

Its like its the 1980s all over again...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 03:08

Some people are in the 1980s. Others are in the 1890s. No surprises.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 20:06

I can't see it as so negative. I think the point is the approach: if they asked those questions because it's "cute" to have a neo-mum already playing rugby and because it's curious to have both husband and wife playing rugby, well, I think it's quite acceptable; if instead they asked those questions because they think she is mostly a wife and a mother and just accidentally a rugby player, ok, I understand your perplexity

On a non related news, according to Asia Rugby the asian qualifiers could remain in Hong Kong, but in a stil unknown (and presumably not near) date

https://www.rugbyasia247.com/asia-rugby ... petitions/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 20:09

In theory, Asia has until the same date as Europe to finish the Qualy...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 01:11

I don't think it's possible to understand in a forum how Russian society thinks of women and maternity. First of all what strikes me of that interview is that RUR claims it was made for Rugby Europe, yet it wasn't published in Rugby Europe website. I guess it was conducted by a local freelancer and Rugby Europe didn't consider it appropriate for Western standards?

It's not fair to say they are in the 1890s or 1980s. Women sport in Russia is valued. It was under USSR, probably because they saw underdeveloped women sport as a mine of Olympic medals with little effort and it has kept a big place in modern Russia. Team sports there are often professional for women and even in some sports like basketball they attract international stars that are better paid than in the WNBA.

But as successful a professional you can be (because you can, there are countless examples of Russian women that reached new heights, even before Western counterparts), if you are a woman your main goal in life is to marry young and be a mother... It's ingrained in their mindset or at least it's what everybody expects from you and most accept it, almost being a burden if you aren't able to. Besides that, think of International Women's Day. What in the rest in the world is a day of vindication, in Russia is a day you must gift flowers to your close women if you don't want to upset them. I really mean that. I f***** it up the first time, because to me, that day the last thing you should do is to reinforce old cliches and stereotypes about what a woman is.

You would be surprised by the kind of coverage women's rugby gets in general or sport media. It's astonishing to see the amount of articles by serious media that highlight how beautiful these girls are in spite of playing a sport of brutes, often embedding their Instagram posts. But holy shit, at the same time I find it hard that Spanish media would publish an article on who was named the best young rugby player of the year... Or this videoblog where players themselves start showing their make-up tools. Or this video about their XV national team preparing this weekend's game, with players claiming they want to prove that they are cute and beautiful but can also be aggressive and clever (!!!). Hey, I really don't know if it's the best way to talk about women's rugby, but they engage without much discomfort. So as much as it shocks us and despite I will probably never fully understand these things, I don't consider myself able to judge this.

Canalina wrote:I can't see it as so negative. I think the point is the approach: if they asked those questions because it's "cute" to have a neo-mum already playing rugby and because it's curious to have both husband and wife playing rugby, well, I think it's quite acceptable; if instead they asked those questions because they think she is mostly a wife and a mother and just accidentally a rugby player, ok, I understand your perplexity

Not really, Russia has quite a few examples of that. Two of the three top players of their 7s national team are married and bear family names from their rugby playing husbands.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 07:04

Few years ago it happened to me to write an article about the italian national team for a little local media. It was a sort of interview with a player and the article started saying that she was not only a great player but also a cute woman... I started regretting that incipit already the day after ("good work! You wrote just what makes you shaking the head when someone other writes it") but it was too late.
So I can't say nothing to that russian writer.
Anyway I think it's right John Birch when he writes about 1980. Judging by the post of Armchair and by the often debatable posts of the two russian members of this forum, the feeling is that Russia is under some aspects half a century late respect to Western Europe. In front of the most controversial aspects of the society they seem having more or less the same reaction that western Europe could have had fifty years ago

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 12:56

I honestly don't see the issue with that interview. There's nothing about it that comes across as demeaning or sexist.

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby