Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:15

This would be great news: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53567909 Welsh and Scottish elite teams in the English league.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:48

FER has released very interesting stats about the state of women's rugby in the country. They are from 2018-19 season:
- 4,224 total female players
- 2,912 senior female players
- 155 teams and 980 games played at senior level
- Provinces with more female players: Barcelona (794), Madrid (770), Valladolid (218), Valencia (180), Asturias (174)
- Provinces with more senior female players: Madrid (592), Barcelona (490), Valladolid (142), Valencia (142), Asturias (136)
- Provinces with more senior female players per capita: Valladolid, Palencia, León, Gipuzkoa, Asturias, Burgos, Barcelona

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 20:52

England 100% professional project set to be victim of post-COVID cuts...
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... are_btn_tw

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 15:39

Six Nations 2020 last fixtures. The november hiatus is because that month will be dedicated to RWC qualifiers? World Rugby didn't specify it, at the moment

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 15:55

RWC qualifiers ahead of Italy and Scotland, two teams that would be involved in it? To me there are two possibilities: that Italy v Scotland could be part of RWC qualifiers, that would be held in December, or qualifiers have directly been pushed to 2021.

As long as there are no flights between Russia and EU, we are trapped.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 16:04

RWC Euro qualifiers in 2021 would be quite risky, because if 6N is in february/march, the RWC qualifiers should be in april or may and then the second classified of that tournament would have to play also the repechage in june/july and eventually the World Cup in september/october. All this still not knowing if the pandemic will be still full dangerous or not.
I think that the hypothesis of Italy v Scotland as both part of 6N and RWC qualifiers could be right; Italy is the best ranked between the four involved teams and Scotland is the worst ranked (giving Spain as probable winner of the Euro Championship), so that match would be a fitting semifinal

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 21:25

The European Qualifier games betwee 6 Nations teams can double up as Six Nations games - so the two legs of Scotland's semi against Italy could be played in December and next Frbruary/March.

But we still have to get through four games involving Spain - the two Euro Championship games v Netherlands and Russia, and then their two semi-finals against Ireland. The Dutch games could be played this autumn, but the are practical problems with the crucial Russian game, which has to be played before the Ireland fixtures as a theoretical a Russian win would give them the championship. If that game cannot be played this autumn then we do have a potential fixture pile-up next spring.

And that is if all things go well. But the RFU is still only at stage B of its return to rugby programme that has to reach stage F before we have contact rugby and they are already saying that community rugby (which women's rugby is effectively part of) will not start in September. Apart from France all of the other nations involved are in a similar position. Getting from individual training to ready to play international rugby in 10 weeks or less will be challenging.

Professional players could go into isolation - as they have in other sports - but most women's players are not professionals. It does not seem to be viable to pull out of their jobs or studies for two months or more this autumn.

I feel that we will be very lucky if these games go ahead as announced.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 22:00

At this stage I wouldn't even discard an invitational RWC.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 22:43

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/08 ... announced/

Weekend of 24th Oct: Round 4

Scotland v France
Ireland v Italy

Weekend of 31st Oct: Round 5

Wales v Scotland
Italy v England
France v Ireland

Weekend of 5th Dec: Round 3

Italy v Scotland

Well, there is time for a European Repechage by November. But I guess WR will need to change (or cancel) the gobal Repechage.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 11:19

Armchair Fan wrote:At this stage I wouldn't even discard an invitational RWC.

I think we need to watch the women's cricket world cup in New Zealand with interest. Are the New Zealand government really going to let in a dozen teams, officials and supporters from all over the world to their nominally COVID-free island? Its six months away yet, but given that any vaccine is a year away its hard to see what will change.

Point being that obviously if the cricket were cancelled the rugby would be in trouble.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 14:25

The third and final scheduled fixture will see the Scots travel to Italy to conclude their campaign in a match which was cancelled with the team in Italy as the Covid-19 situation in the host country worsened. This fixture is also expected to double up as a repechage tie as part of the qualification process for next year’s Rugby World Cup.

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/scot ... ix-nations

Good news, I'd say. It's comfortable to have some (tentatively) still point about the RWC qualifying

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 14:33

I should open a fortune-telling shop.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 17:22

Attempt of collecting the end of the year fixtures (men+women). In black the confirmed ones, in light the rumored ones

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 08 Aug 2020, 11:53

England Rugby news stage from today

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 13:26

At least seven "azzurre" (Italian national team players) in french Elite 1 this year

Arrighetti and Bettoni (Rennes)
Sgorbini and Tounesi (Romagnat)
Ruzza and maybe Salvadego (Stade Francais)
Fedrighi (Stade Toulousain)
Turani (one cap with the Barbarians, Grenoble)

Curious note is that all the seven certain players are forwards. Salvadego instead is a scrumhalf

This season the championship is initially structured in four pools of four teams each; in the second phase the best eight teams form two other four-teams pools and in the third phase (play-off) the best six teams play quarterfinals (with two byes), semifinals and final. Four or five teams will be relegated because in the season 2021/22 the championship will be reduced from 16 to 12 teams

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 09:15

"Is it time to separate women's Six Nations from the men's?"
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4333254

My first feeling was: bad idea! Then I reflected a bit more and now it seems to me no more a so absurd hypothesis.
But a doubt is also "so when?". In april/may it's plenty of men's national championships and european cups events, so the space in the media would be maybe even smaller than during the men's 6N. In full summer (july/august) I think the interest for rugby goes quite down. In october/november there are the test matches and the possible new Nations Cup. So it seems to me that the hypothesis could be just june/early july or september/early october or december/january

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 12:33

As the article says, it will be part of a full revamp of women's rugby calendar. It won't be only affecting W6N. They are trying to draw what women's rugby must be for the next 25, 30 years. And yes, your hypothesis are probably right.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 07:52

The big question is, why shouldn't the W6N be scraped completely and instead a Euro 8or12- tournament every two years could be introduced. This could be played in May/June when every nation in Europe playing women's XVs is actually able to do it (not in real winter, not in hot summer). We already have a very capable team outside of the 6N, basically excluded.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 08:04

There have been very strong rumours in Spain about a 6N+2 tournament, so don't discard it. But as always it must be accepted by 6N. I believe last two years of England domination have helped...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 12:17

A dominating England would be dominating also in an enlarged competition, so I think this can't be a tool pro or contra the change of the status quo.

The weak and the strong points of a Six Nations becoming a sort of Euro championship to me would be these...

Contra
- Transforming itself in something different, the event would lose the "6N flavor". In these last years the Six Nations slowly but constantly gained spectators and tv audience; even in Italy all the games attract 800-3000 spectators and they are shown by Eurosport 2, and I think the ancient fashion of the Six Nations has a deep role in this relative success. Would an Euro championship confirm the same amount of spectators? I have several doubts about, but I can't foresee. The old Euro championships were quite unnoticed by the media, judging by the few reports we now have about, even if that was an other rugby era and maybe a parallel is meaningless. The risk anyway is to break the toy: once you interrupt the tradition of the 6N, transforming the tournament in something different, it becomes very hard to restore it

- The change from 6 to 6+2 nations, if successful, could lead to an analogue hypothesis of change in the men's tournament, id est in the disruption of the tradition of the men's Six Nations. I know that many fans would be happy about this, but I would be disappointed

- An euro title awarded every year could be redundant. An euro championship played instead every 2 or 4 years would be more significant, but what do you play in the other years? Simple test matches? The loss of spectators and sponsor money could be high, respect to the Six Nations

Pro
- Of course the involvement of new teams like Spain and Russia (and potentially of all the other nations, if there was a relegation/promotion mechanism) would be positive

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 15:06

I think WR is planning the so called women's world league, some sort of evoiution from the Super Series. It's a hint, but I think they are, looking at recent declarations. They might want to make W6N closer in the calendar to this competition, to create a logic for national teams to work, as they are semi-professional.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 23 Aug 2020, 11:45

The biggest problem women team sports has is being reliant on the men’s game. The problem is going to always be the girls will always play as the undercard in that arrangement. Separating themselves gives them an opportunity to forge their own identity. I think the proposal should be looked at everywhere. Wallaroos vs Black Ferns matches should be played at their own venue the day prior to the Bledisloe Cup, not as the undercard to the Wallabies vs All Blacks.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 23:20

I don't think this is any problem at all. Can be an opportunity to expand exposure and break prejudice. You don't break prejudice if you are not exposed to something. It only makes sense to totaly split if you don't have prejudice from parents, clubs, unions, sponsors... and we are not there yet. Besides, double-headers save money, that now can be better invested in other things (like the players).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 08:44

Some people, mostly men, will never watch women's teams sports because the woman play at less intensity and pace. It's a fact that not going to change. It's not a case of lack of exposure, the slower pace women play at means a large percentage of people won't tune in. The more you try to align mens and womens rugby, the more different the games look and feel. The moment one is shown to be of a higher level than the other that version of the game is going to appeal to more people than the other. So, you have to appeal to the people who will watch it instead of trying to convert people who have no interest. That starts with giving the girls the spotlight for themselves. Once you set aside a window you can build up to it. The Wallaroos and Black Ferns should be allowed to have a day to themselves and not be overshadowed by the Wallabies and All Blacks. Yes, it means playing at a smaller venues, and you might only get 5,000-10,000 people showing up, but that's a more honest indication of who your support base is rather than pretending the 25,000 who gradually came into the stadium were there to see that match and not the Wallabies vs All Blacks game that starts in 45 mins. Once you know who the people are who support the team, then you can build marketing strategies around it.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 13:49

Also The Telegraph published an article about the "Canterburygate". I'd like to know if the image of the three models was really published by the brand or if it is really a collage of images created by an angry viewer; in the first case the controversy would be somehow justified, in the second case it would seem to me a sort of big soap bubble.
In the Canterbury catalogue on line I see just the image of the three men players as front photo, the models (male and female) are into the men's and women's sections

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... al-womens/

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby