Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 04 Nov 2020, 20:16

Armchair Fan wrote:
victorsra wrote:I think all this discussion will change if World Rugby comes up with a Women's World League. And that's a likely development.

Unfortunately not. There are many formats to a World League and the most probable ones are those preserving statu quo.

I think you're right. Spain creates an awkward odd number of teams. With the Six Nations plus New Zealand and Australia, and USA and Canada, a world league format should be quite simple to work out.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Nov 2020, 20:54

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:
victorsra wrote:I think all this discussion will change if World Rugby comes up with a Women's World League. And that's a likely development.

Unfortunately not. There are many formats to a World League and the most probable ones are those preserving statu quo.

I think you're right. Spain creates an awkward odd number of teams. With the Six Nations plus New Zealand and Australia, and USA and Canada, a world league format should be quite simple to work out.

True, but I think it is very unlikely that such competiton won't be based purely on merit. Women's rugby is different, less commercial interference and WR has stronger hands over it.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 04:03

Chester-Donnelly wrote:How many of the women's teams could be considered tier 1? I think England and New Zealand could. Probably also France and Canada.

I believe England are the only fully pro team, New Zealand and France I believe are mostly professional. Aussie girls are semi-pro.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 08 Nov 2020, 12:57

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:How many of the women's teams could be considered tier 1? I think England and New Zealand could. Probably also France and Canada.

I believe England are the only fully pro team, New Zealand and France I believe are mostly professional. Aussie girls are semi-pro.

France are all semi-pro - contractually so. FFR policy is that they should all have professions or qualifiactions they can use should they stop playing for France (being as they have no club salaries to fall back on).

The N Zealand players in the sevens squad were full time I think. Not stunningly well paid, but essentially full time. Ditto Aussie 7s. Both funded via their IOCs I suspect.

Canadian 7s players ditto I think.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Nov 2020, 12:57

INEF Barcelona, the most decorated club in Spanish women's rugby, announced today that it won't take part in next Liga Iberdrola, citing current pandemic situation:
http://clubinefbcn.cat/actualitat/secci ... -temporada

As reasonable as their explanation can be, it isn't fully honest. This outcome was expected sooner or later. INEF is intrinsically linked with sports science university studies. The club and the team is fed by people studying sports careers. Now that kids get into rugby sooner, they are tied to a club. Clubs from Catalonia were progressively pissed off by the fact of feeding a club who until very recently had not made any serious attempt at developing its own rugby school, because it isn't part of its philosophy. Two or three years ago they were forced into a merger with L'Hospitalet because it was the only way to secure they met newer and stricter requirements to play at national top-tier (having a reserve team) and this agreement expired. Many players have left INEF for Sant Cugat, which in the second tier. So even if they wanted to play this season, it's doubtful they would have been able to.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 13:35

They have given their spot to Les Abelles, so Valencia will be represented at top tier this season.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 14:00

johnbirch wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

France are all semi-pro - contractually so. FFR policy is that they should all have professions or qualifiactions they can use should they stop playing for France (being as they have no club salaries to fall back on).

The N Zealand players in the sevens squad were full time I think. Not stunningly well paid, but essentially full time. Ditto Aussie 7s. Both funded via their IOCs I suspect.

Aren't French sevens players full pro?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 13 Nov 2020, 10:14

victorsra wrote:
johnbirch wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Aren't French sevens players full pro?

More or less. They are paid at 75% (which is a bit ridiculous, because you need to find a 25% job if you're not studying ... which is very difficult to find).

For XV, they are paid at 50%. Which is more reasonable ...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Nov 2020, 17:26

What exactly means 75%? More or less how many euros?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 13 Nov 2020, 21:08

victorsra wrote:What exactly means 75%? More or less how many euros?

Well it seems it's 2K a month, which is quite correct in fact. And for XV they earned 1300, which is quite low ( a bit better than the minimum salary for a full time job).
75% means they are part time, they have a 25% free time outside of their rugby job to work where they want.
So with 75%, you touch only 75% of the full time salary (which would be around 2650 here).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 21 Nov 2020, 12:05

France v England live, for those not living in France or UK

https://www.tvdream.net/web-tv/france-3/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 11:34

Spain will play a friendly game against a Liga Iberdrola All Star side on December 5th:
http://ferugby.es/partido-de-las-estrel ... illajoyosa

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 27 Nov 2020, 12:27

In the same days (Dec 5-8) stage for Italy in Parma
Some missing names (Locatelli, Cavina & Cavina, Muzzo, Salvadego, Capomaggi, Merlo, Mancini, Ruzza...) but also some re-entries (Arrighetti, Veronese) and some no-capped players (D'Incà, Maris, Rolfi, Seye).
"World Rugby will take soon a decision about the re-programmation of the RWC qualifying tournament"

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 24&lang=it

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 27 Nov 2020, 15:12

I understand latest COVID wave may delay plans, but only a month ago Germany was expecting to enter a Rugby Europe Women Trophy in 2021 with two pools. In Pool B the intention was for them to play Belgium, Portugal (!) and Romania (!!!):
https://www.rugby-verband.de/news/wolfp ... and-23474/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 27 Nov 2020, 16:06

A very promising news. I wonder how pool A could be: presumably Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and Czech Rep (if this last was not promoted in the Championship)
But in a news of some months ago Germany mentioned 4 new entries, so alongside with Portugal, Romania and Germany there could be an other "surprise" in pool A, with the czechs in the top category. Let's wait for more news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 27 Nov 2020, 19:05

Portugal didn't play since 1995 (they lost 0-50 with Germany, so they still have to score their first points)
Romania didn't play since 2008, if I checked correctly. The romanians had not a bad team: they defeated twice Finland, plus other one off teams like Serbia and Luxembourg; they lost twice with Belgium but not with large gaps

There are rumors that Portugal's coach is mumbling to do a great turnover: he will not use anyone of the players fielded in the last match! :P

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 27 Nov 2020, 19:22

I put more exclamation marks on Romania than Portugal because Portugal coming back was a matter of time given their participation in Iberian Cup and some training sessions having been held by national union, therefore I think Romania is a much bigger surprise.

Anyway let's see how everything evolves. I'd have a hard time believing Belgium will play after totally canning their XV program not so long ago and with all national rugby stopped, for example.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 05:41

@PaulinaLanco@
15s Womens Competition;
Member Unions spoke, we listened & are taking action. In order to give more unions a chance to participate, RA will organise a series of Test Matches during the Rugby Africa Cup Mens tournament in 2021. Goal is to test at least 8 15s Team's across Africa. The above is subject to country specific health protocols & safety of all concerned in 2021.

Paulina Lanco is a kenian "Founder RUCKiT Rugby. Rugby Afrique Exec Member. Chair RA Womens Rugby Advisory Committee"

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby