Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Feb 2021, 18:30

In a month (March 15) italian rugby will have the new election of the Federation's council. One of the five candidates presents the hypothesis of an italian women's franchise. The candidate, Marzio Innocenti, adfirms to have received this suggestion by a "foreign international circuit" (?) which would be very interested to have an italian team

(paragraph 7 of this interview)
https://ladiesrugbyclub.blogspot.com/20 ... il_11.html

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 08:56

From Uzbekistan: On February 14 the training camp of our women's rugby team began at the Yangiabad training base, which will last until February 28. This event is aimed at the preparation for the upcoming international tournaments. Also in the city of Antalya (Turkey) in the period March 02-10 joint training camps with women's rugby teams from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkey will be held. It should be noted that training camps are held with the participation of a foreign coach-consultant from Kazakhstan, Anastasia Khamova.

http://rugby.uz/2021/02/17/тренировочные-сборы-женской-сборной-2/

Rugby XV? Rugby 7s? I count 21 women in the photo (plus Khamova) so it could be also XV. There are not "upcoming events" involving Uzbekistan in the Asia Rugby calendar; the continental 7s series will be just at the end of the summer

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 11:31

Going to be adding the 15 matches to the tipping comp, see what reaction I get.
is the Spain v Netherlands the only match with the cancellation of the HK Tournament?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 11:39

There is Spain v Russia this weekend.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 17:13

Just a note from a news apparead on twitter: the Andorra club (but maybe there are two clubs in Andorra) has a women XV team playing in the Spanish championship. I suppose most of the girls are from Andorra, so I wonder if they ever thought to a national team. As far as I remember Andorra never fielded neither a 7s national team

https://twitter.com/rugbyandorra/status ... 4677668871

No, I was wrong: they finished 5th out of twelve teams in the Euro 7s Conference 2019

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 17:26

Spain v Netherlands will be in the tipping competition when it re-starts next week.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 17:28

Canalina wrote:Just a note from a news apparead on twitter: the Andorra club (but maybe there are two clubs in Andorra) has a women XV team playing in the Spanish championship. I suppose most of the girls are from Andorra, so I wonder if they ever thought to a national team. As far as I remember Andorra never fielded neither a 7s national team

Their men's side plays in France but their women's side started to play in Catalan regional leagues last season.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 10:26

Canalina wrote:Just a note from a news apparead on twitter: the Andorra club (but maybe there are two clubs in Andorra) has a women XV team playing in the Spanish championship. I suppose most of the girls are from Andorra, so I wonder if they ever thought to a national team. As far as I remember Andorra never fielded neither a 7s national team

https://twitter.com/rugbyandorra/status ... 4677668871

No, I was wrong: they finished 5th out of twelve teams in the Euro 7s Conference 2019

Andorra also hosted the European Trophy U18s in 2017. They senior team made its debut in 2000 and has reached in the European Grand Prix on occasions.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 07:26

Cameroon - The Cameroon XV in stage (the very first one for this country national team?)
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 6384350994

France - FFR published the pools of the upper section of Elite 1. Eight clubs will battle for the title
Montpellier, Blagnac, Lons and Rennes in a pool
Toulouse, Romagnat, Bayonne and Bobigny in the other one

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 18:06

I wrote that Bobigny qualified to the play-off but instead the spot goes, surprisingly, to Bordeaux

Before the last weekend, Bordeaux was second in the pool with 14 points and Bobigny third with 13 points. Bordeaux lost in Romagnat without conquering points, while Bobigny had a relatively easy game at home with Grenoble; but the game was annulled due to some covid cases in the Grenoble team. The most logic decision appeared to give the second place to Bobigny but FFR opted for the opposite. Rugbyrama wrote an article about this appearing injustice
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/feminine ... tory.shtml

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 24 Feb 2021, 14:47

So women's professional rugby wants to go the same way as men's professional rugby, limiting opportunities given to players from countries who can't afford professional competitions on their own...
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... t-imports/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Feb 2021, 11:33

The Japan Championship (2020? 2021?) played the final game: Mie Pearls defeated Morning Bears ( :) ) 41-10

Mie Pearls is a club from Yokkaichi, a town in the Mie prefecture near Nagoya. They have also four newzealanders and a fijian player in the team. The Mie prefecture is renomated for the pearls cultivation http://mie-pearls.com/team/player.php
I haven't discovered instead where the Morning Bears come from and why they have that name

Some photos of the final http://en.rugby-japan.jp/2021/02/21/jap ... hip-final/

This match is encouraging also for the asian RWC qualifiers; evidently in Japan rugby is playing, the problem should be in Hong Kong or in the closed borders

There's the whole Pearls v Bears on youtube, they've shown it live last sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NxgywabNY

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Feb 2021, 16:00

Japan/2

The team of the "Morning Bears" comes from Kumagaya, a town near Tokyo. "Kumagaya" should mean "the valley of the bears" (kuma=bear) so this probably explains the name even if I havent found why thery are "morning"

Tomorrow the Japan national team starts a seven days stage, under the supervision of the head coach Lesley McKenzie.
Obviously in the select there are also players from the two national championship's finalist clubs
https://www.rugby-japan.jp/news/2021/02/25/50679

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 07 Mar 2021, 08:19

According to an article by the german federation all the Euro categories behind the Championship are going to be cancelled for this season. Apparently they don't expclictely mention the women tournaments, but they've put an image of the women national team to accompany the article so that must involve also the women sector. If this was true and if the recent games in Guadalajara were part of the Euro Championship 2021 (and not 2020), the Euro women XV season would be already over

https://www.rugby-verband.de/news/so-ko ... hen-24656/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Mar 2021, 23:36

Lionesses tour possible in the future?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... 1615219523

On the one hand I'm not against the idea, but the issue as pointed out in the article is that England would dominant the team as they are the only nation in the UK with a professional set up.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 09 Mar 2021, 15:43

ATM, I can see only one viable tour: New Zealand (with a warm up match against Australia). Maybe Canada or USA (maybe a tour combining both?).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 09 Mar 2021, 16:10

France.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 09 Mar 2021, 17:46

Ok, but France is a 6N team. Would be a bit weird, out of the Lions' tradition.

However, I wouldn't find it a bad idea.

Anyway, I think NZ would be the natural first tour destination.

It would be cool to see it in June or July 2023.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 02:18

What type of tour could possibly be held though? Even if you somehow manage to pull together a team that has girls from Wales, Ireland and Scotland, could a tour last much longer than 2 weeks? How much time off from work could the amateurs and semi-pro girls get? If it's just a couple of test matches then what's the point of having a Lioness tour? You'd be better off just flying England out to New Zealand for a best-of-three series as they would be the only players who could afford to take that length off time away from home.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 04:33

victorsra wrote:Ok, but France is a 6N team. Would be a bit weird, out of the Lions' tradition.

However, I wouldn't find it a bad idea.

Anyway, I think NZ would be the natural first tour destination.

It would be cool to see it in June or July 2023.

Throw away Commonwealth crap and following the Men's game. Their first tour should be France, then a joint CAN-USA tour.

thatrugbyguy wrote:What type of tour could possibly be held though? Even if you somehow manage to pull together a team that has girls from Wales, Ireland and Scotland, could a tour last much longer than 2 weeks? How much time off from work could the amateurs and semi-pro girls get? If it's just a couple of test matches then what's the point of having a Lioness tour? You'd be better off just flying England out to New Zealand for a best-of-three series as they would be the only players who could afford to take that length off time away from home.

Now this is a real concern. The core of the team will be English, so they're already full time. But it would be pretty rough for them to string together an 6-8 week thing like the men. Since it couldn't last like the Men's one it would be easy to do a two match series against CAN or USA for example.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 06:22

It defeats the purpose of tour though. Ideally you'd want at least a two-test series along with 2 or 3 matches against domestic clubs. 5-matches spread over 3 weeks would at least constitute a tour of sorts. But that's the other problem, what possible opposition could local clubs/provincial teams actually supply? When the Lions tour to NZ or Australia or South Africa there's enough players to fill in for the likes of New South Wales or Maori All Blacks or Western Province for players who will be playing in the test series. But would there be enough women players to do the same? Could NSW or Queensland play a competitive match if 6 or 7 players are in the Wallaroos team? That I don't know. I'm not against the idea, but i'm struggling to see how this can be done in any way that actually provides benefit to women's rugby. Either you go in with what is essentially an England team playing in a different colour shirt, or you dilute the entire project by sending a team that is made up of women with different levels of fitness and skill who may or may not be able to get the time off work to do it. This needs to be carefully thought out before there is any commitment made.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 14:06

As part of International Women's Day, the Peruvian Rugby Federation presented the Women's and Rugby Commission, which seeks to work on a comprehensive plan to increase women's participation within the community.

https://www.sudamerica.rugby/espanol/crean-nueva-comision-mujer-y-rugby-en-peru-3?nid=595

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 14:17

Women’s Executive Leadership Scholarship has resulted in Maria Fernanda working with the Mexican Rugby Federation to evaluate their current status & to think big in planning for future growth.

https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/international-womens-day-catching-up-with-the-wild-bunch/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 17:44

thatrugbyguy wrote:It defeats the purpose of tour though. Ideally you'd want at least a two-test series along with 2 or 3 matches against domestic clubs. 5-matches spread over 3 weeks would at least constitute a tour of sorts. But that's the other problem, what possible opposition could local clubs/provincial teams actually supply? When the Lions tour to NZ or Australia or South Africa there's enough players to fill in for the likes of New South Wales or Maori All Blacks or Western Province for players who will be playing in the test series. But would there be enough women players to do the same? Could NSW or Queensland play a competitive match if 6 or 7 players are in the Wallaroos team? That I don't know. I'm not against the idea, but i'm struggling to see how this can be done in any way that actually provides benefit to women's rugby. Either you go in with what is essentially an England team playing in a different colour shirt, or you dilute the entire project by sending a team that is made up of women with different levels of fitness and skill who may or may not be able to get the time off work to do it. This needs to be carefully thought out before there is any commitment made.

You're not giving any of the other players form other nations any credit. England isn't the end all be all of all British/Irish rugby. I'll give you that the teams will be mostly made up of England players but not all. I like the idea if a British and Irish lioness tour was to happen that a tour through NZ as making the most sense. Two test series against the Silver Ferns and maybe mid week games being against the North or South Island all star teams and possible a game vs Ausrtraila on route. A three week tour would be a perfect length for a team made mostly of amateurs and a great way to build the idea of tours going forward.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Mar 2021, 11:28

New deal between the 6N and CVC, for the next five years. 365 millions sterlins, apparently so subdivided: 95 ENG, 92.5 FRA, 51 WAL, 48 IRE, 44.5 SCO, 34 ITA.
A partnership to promove "the men's Six Nations, the women's one, the U20 one and the Autmun tests".
It would be good (but it's just a wish by me, nothing more) if they tried to introduce an U20 women tournament, at least an embryo. Maybe not directly in the main official event but in the "Six Nations Festival" which before the pandemic gathered in Spring in the British Isles the six U18 boys' selects

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 11&lang=it

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby