Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:01

Still curious how the Arrows will be able to compete in the 2021 season with the border still closed and the American covid numbers still going through the roof. The NBA has decided that the Raptors will be playing all their home games in the states somewhere (didn't pat attention as i don't like basketball) hopefully the Arrows have a back up plan.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 29 Nov 2020, 18:30

snapper37 wrote:Still curious how the Arrows will be able to compete in the 2021 season with the border still closed and the American covid numbers still going through the roof. The NBA has decided that the Raptors will be playing all their home games in the states somewhere (didn't pat attention as i don't like basketball) hopefully the Arrows have a back up plan.

No news anywhere, and with the American Covid cases still going through the roof i wouldn't be holding my breathe for a season. Hopefully this covid shit gets corrected sooner rather than later.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 18:55

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 18:56

Toronto Arrows 2021 MLR schedule reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJfmii4Tq4

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 19:21

Latest MLR Kickoff Podcast features reflections from the Commissioner: https://player.acast.com/mlrkickoff/episodes/kickoff73

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Dec 2020, 18:11

Last edited by victorsra on Sat, 19 Dec 2020, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 19 Dec 2020, 18:20

victorsra wrote:Mexico wants a MLR franchise: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/1 ... by-future/

Plus there some talk around a Vancouver team.

Postby Raven » Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 11:08

snapper37 wrote:
victorsra wrote:Mexico wants a MLR franchise: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/1 ... by-future/

My gut tells me a Vancouver franchise is likely to appear a number of years sooner than a Mexican one...

Just out of curiosity, sparked by this statement; Are there any Americans playing in MLR that could be eligible to play for Mexico TODAY? I don't recall any capped Serpientes on any MLR side. Perhaps before thinking of a sole franchise they could also add another step of developing an "X" number of players to reach an MLR level.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 17:51

If you have a look to the way Soccer is organized in Mexico, you can see several business groups envolved in the property and management of professional soccer clubs. Mexico has imported sothamerican football players in quantities since the 70 s. So, if a business group is interested in a Rugby franchise they will conform it with or without a majority of mexican players at the beginning.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 18:14

Mexico's last home test match was in 2016. In 2017 they only hoested USA South in the RAN Championship. They don't have many events to show professionalism is viable.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 04:46

Mexico has to be a long term program. It's not much good putting in an MLR team with no other infrastructure in place. .

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 10:31

Mexico should be looked at from the MLR and USAR’s point of view as a mid to long term perspective to improve their national team to add another competitor to the NAR sphere. So get the promising players improved as much as possible and possibly into American and Canadian MLR teams, and then once the game has gained more of a foothold and the national team has some relevance and there is infrastructure built to look at MLR expansion into Mexico.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 17:00

ihateblazers wrote:Mexico should be looked at from the MLR and USAR’s point of view as a mid to long term perspective to improve their national team to add another competitor to the NAR sphere. So get the promising players improved as much as possible and possibly into American and Canadian MLR teams, and then once the game has gained more of a foothold and the national team has some relevance and there is infrastructure built to look at MLR expansion into Mexico.

This could be a correct long term path of development. But if the Mexican Union establishes several HPC around the country in order to develop more compertitive players and get investors interested in a Rugby franchise, it can establish a short term path through a team iniatilly conformed by a mix of expatriates and local players. The business structure of professional sports in Mexico could support more than one franchise. If Rugby is attractive to the public, professional Rugby could be a reality in the short term with mexican players developing within the country.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 17:17

They are still at least one or two steps behind Colombia. First, it would be crucial to see the Mexican national team playing home test matches and finding a proper anual tournament to play, as the Americas Rugby Challenge is on the verge to die...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 18:54

From what I understand, a Mexican team in MLR is part of their 10-year strategic plan. The goal would be to enter in probably year 7 of that plan, and the goal would be to have at least 10 Serpientes on the team, 10 Foreign Players, and the rest of the squad filled from Canadian and US players that were already in MLR.

And I have no clue what an MLR buy-in would look like in 6 years.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 01:43

Raven wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

My gut tells me a Vancouver franchise is likely to appear a number of years sooner than a Mexican one...

Just out of curiosity, sparked by this statement; Are there any Americans playing in MLR that could be eligible to play for Mexico TODAY? I don't recall any capped Serpientes on any MLR side. Perhaps before thinking of a sole franchise they could also add another step of developing an "X" number of players to reach an MLR level.

No I don’t think there are any. Maybe there is a player or Mexican descent but I can’t recall any. Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and Colombia are the only Latin American countries with players in MLR as far as I’m concerned.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 14:05

Tobar wrote:
Raven wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

No I don’t think there are any. Maybe there is a player or Mexican descent but I can’t recall any. Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and Colombia are the only Latin American countries with players in MLR as far as I’m concerned.

David Perez is on the Utah Selects roster, from Chihuahua Mexico

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 14:12

RUNY has a Jamaican wing, right? Not Latin America, but "Rest of the Americas" :P

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 25 Dec 2020, 23:33

victorsra wrote:RUNY has a Jamaican wing, right? Not Latin America, but "Rest of the Americas" :P

Mike St Clair.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 28 Dec 2020, 21:29

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 12:19

Would make a great stadium, not much would have to change, apart from pulling the end stands back to same as main stands.

Temporary bleachers on far sides would be fine, and the view from the stands across to Manhattan would be to die for.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 13:15

What is the expected growth in spectator numbers for this league. I know of how much the audience sizes are for the established teams in the main European Leagues and Super Rugby and am aware there is a 10 year strategy for the MLR.
Have they mentioned how many spectators they are expecting to have at the end of this 10 year period ?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 13:43

Yeah that’s the plan. We’ll see if it actually happens though since it’s been talked about for a while now.

I think it’d be fine. I personally hate Staten Island and never want to go there but it’s not any farther than Coney Island. In fact it should be a bit more accessible from Manhattan and the ferry ride is more interesting than the subway. It also seems like this section of Staten Island is undergoing a decent amount of development to create higher density so that may make this a more appealing place to visit. Coney Island is a dump and there’s no plan to change that.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 17:27

Mexico's plan is for MLR Team is a HUGE IF..

Points 2 and 3 should be their priority. The women's programme needs to be made a priority then bring MLR Team into play.

Further they need to be more professional in how they run the competitions and Union.

Also the current situation of COVID in Mexico City has changed everything.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 17:39

BC needs an MLR team. It needs to be in Vancouver as well. It, along with Toronto, would quite easily be one of the stronger clubs in the league.

MLR is the way forward for the game in Canada and the sooner the BCRU gets on board, the better.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum