Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: German rugby

Postby iul » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 18:45

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/eur ... rajica-nfl
New American football league to be launched in Germany and Poland. It's interesting how popular gridiron is in Germany compared to rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 01:39

iul wrote:https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/european-league-of-football-2021-season-germany-poland-zeljko-karajica-nfl
New American football league to be launched in Germany and Poland. It's interesting how popular gridiron is in Germany compared to rugby

Certainly this can be popular. There is an enthusiastic GFL fanbase. American football is well placed to be Germany's second football code. But whether it can be sustainable is another matter. I wish them well. It's not the worst idea I've heard.

Postby Raven » Thu, 08 Apr 2021, 19:20

I forgot to post here that the 2020/2021 season was officially cancelled by the DRV. Although when rules were eased in Germany some friendly games where played (back in October / November) it has been a while since adults have played or even trained together. In some regions kid teams where able to restart but now some provinces are tightening the rules again so it is pretty uncertain on how things will continue.

At one point I remember hearing about some suggestions for a "calendar year" season (ie. starting in March, summer break in July/August and continue from September til November) but obviously this year can be crossed out.

I must admit chances of resuming club rugby this year are looking pretty grim.

The Sevens programme is however having 'some' action https://www.rugby-verband.de/news/coach ... ich-24947/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 00:00

Any news from Germany recently? Haven't heard much.

Postby Raven » Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 09:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:Any news from Germany recently? Haven't heard much.

There's not a lot to hear. With the 2020/21 season being cancelled, and the RET not being played (until next year?) there's a big long hiatus ... The "Wild era" long gone, and money problems always arising I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet. Byszio and Poppmeier who were going to run the Junior section in German Rugby have also stepped down in March, so probably taking an amateur structure route there too to keep costs down :(

Some German players are however playing in other leagues, but whether they'll be playing with the German colours soon is a big question.

The Sevens however (funded mostly by the German Olympic committee) are preparing for the Georgia and Russian European tournaments.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum