Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Tue, 30 Jun 2020, 16:54

WR is stating about the present. Now there isn't GB.

I know SRU published that they are commited with their 7s program, but that's misleading IMO because as we know they would keep with it even with a GB in the WSS, as they have the Commonwealth Games in 2022.

But yes, as it looks like, I don't believe this will happen right now (short time for such change and I guess they have the budget approved for 2020-21), I agree with you that probably that's it, Wales and Scotland keep going on now. But when the 2021 finances are clear, I bet WRU and SRU will reconsider. Sevens is pure waste of money for in their cases, honestly. Maybe it 2021-22 GB can become a reality, or 2022-23, after Birmingham's Commonwealth Games (as they probably want a strong tournament in UK soil).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Tue, 30 Jun 2020, 18:15

Armchair Fan wrote:Season finished. And guess what? No relegation for Wales and Germany fucked again!
https://twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status ... 7003524096

I'm not surprised by any of this, you could see it coming from a mile out. The fact WR seem to be applying two different processes to the same competition, (ie deciding its good enough award NZ the title but not good enough to relegate Wales). I guess they're using the challenger series as the excuse, but for me if they decided they weren't going to relegate Wales then they shouldn't have promoted Japan. Its probably the phasing out of the 'invitational team' in favour of the permanent replacement from the Challenger Series.

On the GB thing, I feel we've been talking about this for years, but the pandemic may have forced their hands this time, lets hope they stick to one team.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 30 Jun 2020, 18:29

This depends on Scotland. I think the problem is Scotland believe they invented sevens. It really doesn't matter so much what Wales decide to do.
Scotland + England + Wales = Team GB
Scotland + England = Team GB
England + Wales = England
Scotland + Wales = ??? no idea. That has never happened.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Sat, 04 Jul 2020, 19:18

victorsra wrote:WR is stating about the present. Now there isn't GB.

I know SRU published that they are commited with their 7s program, but that's misleading IMO because as we know they would keep with it even with a GB in the WSS, as they have the Commonwealth Games in 2022.

But yes, as it looks like, I don't believe this will happen right now (short time for such change and I guess they have the budget approved for 2020-21), I agree with you that probably that's it, Wales and Scotland keep going on now. But when the 2021 finances are clear, I bet WRU and SRU will reconsider. Sevens is pure waste of money for in their cases, honestly. Maybe it 2021-22 GB can become a reality, or 2022-23, after Birmingham's Commonwealth Games (as they probably want a strong tournament in UK soil).

Yes, Scotland will always have a 7's program because of the commonwealth games, but remember the SRU pulled out of the European Grand Prix a few years ago. Without the world series, there is no 7's 'program' in Scotland; we would only be playing one tournament every 4 years! (for the men that is; our women are obviously still playing Rugby Europe events)

Chester-Donnelly wrote:This depends on Scotland. I think the problem is Scotland believe they invented sevens. It really doesn't matter so much what Wales decide to do.

Whilst the romantic notion is a factor for some, I don't think that is the reason most don't want to see a Scotland team cut. I also entirely disagree with victorsra's suggestion that sevens is a waste of money for us. Far from it. It's very difficult for Scotland to develop international quality players with just 2 pro teams, and so the 7's program has been used to supplement that and give young players an opportunity to break into pro rugby in a much cheaper way than running a 3rd pro team. Success in 7's for us is not measured in tournament wins or world series placing (though we have won 2 of the last 4 London Sevens, and haven't been particularly poor recently), it's measured in the talent that comes through and goes on to play test rugby. And it's doing OK for us in that regard.

Also worth mentioning, whilst I often see it being mentioned that rugby fans are already used to supporting GB in the lions so it wouldn't be much of a change, I don't believe that is true in Scotland any more. There is a growing number of Scotland fans who have little or no interest in the lions these days. I have no interest in supporting a GB side, and if a merger were to go ahead, there is a very good chance I would just stop paying any attention to 7's.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Jul 2020, 19:42

CraigChalmers wrote:

Yes, Scotland will always have a 7's program because of the commonwealth games, but remember the SRU pulled out of the European Grand Prix a few years ago. Without the world series, there is no 7's 'program' in Scotland; we would only be playing one tournament every 4 years! (for the men that is; our women are obviously still playing Rugby Europe events)

Chester-Donnelly wrote:This depends on Scotland. I think the problem is Scotland believe they invented sevens. It really doesn't matter so much what Wales decide to do.

Whilst the romantic notion is a factor for some, I don't think that is the reason most don't want to see a Scotland team cut. I also entirely disagree with victorsra's suggestion that sevens is a waste of money for us. Far from it. It's very difficult for Scotland to develop international quality players with just 2 pro teams, and so the 7's program has been used to supplement that and give young players an opportunity to break into pro rugby in a much cheaper way than running a 3rd pro team. Success in 7's for us is not measured in tournament wins or world series placing (though we have won 2 of the last 4 London Sevens, and haven't been particularly poor recently), it's measured in the talent that comes through and goes on to play test rugby. And it's doing OK for us in that regard.

Also worth mentioning, whilst I often see it being mentioned that rugby fans are already used to supporting GB in the lions so it wouldn't be much of a change, I don't believe that is true in Scotland any more. There is a growing number of Scotland fans who have little or no interest in the lions these days. I have no interest in supporting a GB side, and if a merger were to go ahead, there is a very good chance I would just stop paying any attention to 7's.

Scotland could return to Grand Prix, very simple. And cheaper, because it is a 4-months thing max.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan » Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 17:26

victorsra wrote:
CraigChalmers wrote:

Scotland could return to Grand Prix, very simple. And cheaper, because it is a 4-months thing max.

No they can’t as they had to start in the lowest division, like Ireland has done before.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 17:42

Of course. They'd need 2 years for that. But there are ways to reduce to 1 year, only 2021 (for exemple, a trophy with 16 teams, organizing the Conference prior to it). The crucial for Scotland is 2022 Grand Prix (Commonwealth Games year).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 07 Jul 2020, 08:16

The German view about the decision to plan with 16 core teams next season.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/07/a ... vens-team/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 07 Jul 2020, 10:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:The German view about the decision to plan with 16 core teams next season.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/07/a ... vens-team/

Hopefully we'll see team GB take the place of England, Scotland and Wales next year opening up some space. Especially considering they will be going into an Olympic year so playing together as a squad would be much better preparation than a training camp.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 16:15

Olympics schedule for rugby sevens https://tokyo2020.org/en/schedule/rugby-schedule

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 20:37

Interesting men go first this time. Not sure about this format at all, but that's been done to death.

Is Tokyo Stadium the main Olympic one or a different stadium?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 20:46

Tokyo Stadium, which is cool.

Men's tournament: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Women's: Thursday, Friday, Saturday

It is the week between Lions vs Boks test 1 and test 2.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum