Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby ficcp » Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 19:25

Sables4EVA wrote:I agree, somewhere away from the British Isles would be great for developing the game.

I think they should have 1 or 2 events put out to tender annually. drop Scotland and maybe one other and give other countries with teams in the Series a chance to host.

This is a good idea. Is better to increase the sevens circuit through new hosts cities but it is not necessary tu cut any of the current ones. 2 new hosts could rotate in different continents. Our country organized one tier 2 tournament in February, it could receive the main circuit also.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 19:36

NaBUru38 wrote:How about merging the men's and women's matches, with two quarters each?

I think this is a funny and quite interesting idea.
It's very unlikely it will be ever accepted, but a World Cup played with mixed (alternate) squads would give to the RWC an original profile, different from the 7s series one and the Olympics one. Probably Argentina, Georgia and all those nations with a still weak women sector would be unhappy of the purpose, but right for this reason the idea could be also a stimulant for the women rugby spreading

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 01 Sep 2020, 06:21

It would be impractical. You would need the same 16 teams for both men and women.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 01 Sep 2020, 12:47

The qualifiers would be played with the same criteria.
To me it's not a so out-of-realty idea, I quite like it. Probably it should be tested in some minor competition

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 01 Sep 2020, 16:35

No Sydney or Hamilton https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/n ... mpic-games The Series will only start with HK in april. This means it starts where it stopped.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 01 Sep 2020, 19:38

Canalina wrote: Probably Argentina, Georgia and all those nations with a still weak women sector would be unhappy of the purpose, but right for this reason the idea could be also a stimulant for the women rugby spreading

Exactly.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ernestakor » Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 09:36

Innocent Simiyu re-appointed Kenya Sevens head coach on a two-year contract.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 07:33

Some original thoughts on the future of sevens at an international level

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... 8Opk92S4FU

I think it would be a good idea to approach. If it becomes more commercially attractive , it might be an opportunity for more countries to be able to encourage finance into their rugby programmes

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 08:56

I like some of his ideas but not a British Lions sevens team. There's no British Lions. It's the British and Irish Lions. This kind of arrogance coming from a fellow Englishman is embarrassing. And the article shouldn't be saying "British Isles" in a political sense. We should be careful how we use that term, or don't use it at all. Rugby sevens is an Olympic sport. Team GB is Britain's Olympic brand and Team Ireland is Ireland's Olympic brand. Emerging unions like China, Germany and Jamaica prioritise sevens because it's an Olympic sport. Britain should fall in line and stop thinking it's special.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 09:23

I think those purposes wouldn't work; a sport must be very solid and popular to keep success even with commercial brand teams instead of national teams. The US coach purpose is a sort of mix ("Amazon USA") but my feeling is that it would be anyway a wrong way: the tournaments would attract even more interest and Amazon wouldn't pay a lot for a low interesting event.
The radical problem of 7s, to me, is that it's a sport "too flat", id est someway funny but with too few tactical deepness. Of course this is not a problem easy to resolve; you should revolutionize the structure of the game, and how?.
However, if I saw basketball for the first time I'd say "it's not funny nor enthusiasming, it will never have success", and handball "too monotone and boring", so my judgement is not so meaningful

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 09:38

I would purpose this modification both in 7s (experimentally) and in XV (eventually), somehow inspired by the basketball shoot area: a try area not parallelepiped but convex. It would make more difficult to score in the external belts and this would make the conversions being superfluous, because an external try would have the same difficulty and the same value of a central try

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 11:27

Whilst we're proposing changing rugby, there is something I've been thinking about for a while. The codes of union and league have diverged quite a lot and reuniting them into a single code is very unlikely. However, I feel like a combined code could be created for the women's game. Watching Premier 15s (top tier of women's rugby union) and RFL Women's Super League there isn't a whole lot of difference. The rucks are not as competitive as the men's game so there isn't that huge difference at the breakdown. I would go for 13 players but keep competitive scrums and lineouts.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 12:55

Canalina wrote:I think those purposes wouldn't work; a sport must be very solid and popular to keep success even with commercial brand teams instead of national teams. The US coach purpose is a sort of mix ("Amazon USA") but my feeling is that it would be anyway a wrong way: the tournaments would attract even more interest and Amazon wouldn't pay a lot for a low interesting event.
The radical problem of 7s, to me, is that it's a sport "too flat", id est someway funny but with too few tactical deepness. Of course this is not a problem easy to resolve; you should revolutionize the structure of the game, and how?.
However, if I saw basketball for the first time I'd say "it's not funny nor enthusiasming, it will never have success", and handball "too monotone and boring", so my judgement is not so meaningful

While I mainly agree with this, without the national element the world series is fairly meaningless, I do support Friday coming up with reasonable ideas. I know the tour de France had national teams for years and I think gran prix's did too.

It would also revitalise the World Cup and give that actual meaning.

Certainly worth a scoping exercise to see what kind of demand there is out there.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 13:19

Can anyone understand what is his point in referencing the IPL? The IPL features the world's most famous players. Is he suggesting Beauden Barrett and Siya Kolisi would be playing sevens? If not, why even bring it up?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 17:02

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Can anyone understand what is his point in referencing the IPL? The IPL features the world's most famous players. Is he suggesting Beauden Barrett and Siya Kolisi would be playing sevens? If not, why even bring it up?

I don't really know why he brings that up. The IPL is a league that has the most control over the calendar in the entire game of Cricket. There's massive amounts of cash in the game. But the T20 game is still 3 hours plus long. It is more in line with the length of a Football or Baseball game. A Rugby XVs match takes an hour less time than a T20 game.

He thinks there's money in privatizing 7s, there isn't btw, and with that a means for him to get paid. Although, right now I'll tell you that Friday is the highest paid coach in 7s by some margin.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 21:01

I can easily explain my father that New Zealand, Fiji and England play the Sevens World Series.

How on earth would I explain him the NTT Shining Arcs versus the DHL Eagles?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 22:12

People are inventing problems. Sevens won't be more popular outside the national teams level and it plays a crucial, vital, role below T1 level. I realy can't understood how people don't understand how sevens impacts T2s unions finances simply because it is Olympic.

But rugby is a small sport and sevens is a small part of it. Obviously it will struggle. But sevens tournaments model is the same of individual sports: you play tournaments in series models through year. It is like golf, tennis, motorsports, fighting sports, etc. It is different from home-away model most team sports have. The question is how to learn with this model. National teams are still the most obvious entities to attract viewership. You can explore different management and commercial models without scrapping national teams, but any model must convince the Unions.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 05:11

Rebus wrote:Some original thoughts on the future of sevens at an international level

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... 8Opk92S4FU

I think it would be a good idea to approach. If it becomes more commercially attractive , it might be an opportunity for more countries to be able to encourage finance into their rugby programmes

The Formula One model just doesn't work in a team sports environment. I can appreciate the outside the box thinking, but I cannot for the life of me imagine going to the Sevens and ever cheering on Team Amazon or Team Red Bull.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 05:13

Canalina wrote:I would purpose this modification both in 7s (experimentally) and in XV (eventually), somehow inspired by the basketball shoot area: a try area not parallelepiped but convex. It would make more difficult to score in the external belts and this would make the conversions being superfluous, because an external try would have the same difficulty and the same value of a central try

I don't see how this could work.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 05:21

victorsra wrote:People are inventing problems. Sevens won't be more popular outside the national teams level and it plays a crucial, vital, role below T1 level. I realy can't understood how people don't understand how sevens impacts T2s unions finances simply because it is Olympic.

But rugby is a small sport and sevens is a small part of it. Obviously it will struggle. But sevens tournaments model is the same of individual sports: you play tournaments in series models through year. It is like golf, tennis, motorsports, fighting sports, etc. It is different from home-away model most team sports have. The question is how to learn with this model. National teams are still the most obvious entities to attract viewership. You can explore different management and commercial models without scrapping national teams, but any model must convince the Unions.

The problem comes when the T1's start to pull their funding from the sport. When they start losing interest then everyone else suffers. Sevens has it's place in rugby, but I think it's perfectly fine to look at the current model and ask if it's actually working or whether or not a better option can be created which produces better results. I look at something like how Germany has fallen at the final hurdle for the last 3-4 years trying to qualify for the main draw of the World Series and I say to myself there's got to be a better way to get these teams involved. All that progress in German rugby wasted because the current model only allows one team in per year.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 05:42

UK isn't = all T1s. Let's not mistake British issues with the whole sevens. Specialy because they weren't funding it with Olympic money AFAIK. They are probably the exception.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 06:06

If Britain sends a Team GB instead of 3 regional teams that solves the problem of no space for Germany.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 06:35

Private teams, not rarely titled with the name of a sponsor, already exists in 7s tournaments outside the World Series, and as far as I know no one follows them a part friends and relatives

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Canalina wrote:I would purpose this modification both in 7s (experimentally) and in XV (eventually), somehow inspired by the basketball shoot area: a try area not parallelepiped but convex. It would make more difficult to score in the external belts and this would make the conversions being superfluous, because an external try would have the same difficulty and the same value of a central try

I don't see how this could work.

It's just to talk, I know that this sort of modification will be never introduced.
The pro (to me) with a curvilinear try area would be
- a lateral try would be as difficult as a central one
- the point above would make superfluous the conversions; I don't like conversions
- the point above would make superfluous the ugly (to me) runs toward the middle of the try area, when a player is already in the area and with the try secured
- most important: the curvilinear try area would more resemble the shape of a village. I always think that a rugby battle is like a duel between two villages, with the aim of bringing something to the opponent village (versione one) or to bring something to your own village (version two). I'm not sure but I think that historically the game of rugby developed right by this sort of duels between villages, like the lelo still played in Georgia; and the shape of a village was usually roundy, also because of defensive scope, not with a flat border finishing at a certain point at left and at right; and when you was able to bring your precious object in the village you had no to "convert" it kicking it above the entry door of the village

The contra
- a curvy try area would bring heavy offside problems. Maybe the offside should be abolished in the try area, so that a team could defend the area disposing the players along the curvilinear line and not along a flat line like now
- the scarce deepness of the lateral try area could bring safety problems, id est the wingers would have too few margin of slowing down after entering at full speed in the area
- field gardeners would be not happy to have to draw curvy lines instead of easy flat lines...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 13:52

Friday has coached on the Summer professional circuit in the UK. When I ask people about it, they've never heard of it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 17 Sep 2020, 15:07

TheStroBro wrote:Friday has coached on the Summer professional circuit in the UK. When I ask people about it, they've never heard of it.

I can confirm that I have never heard of it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum